Old 12-12-2003, 04:02 PM
J Kolenovsky

Default Crataegus opaca (Mayhaw)

Thanks, Dave. I did lookups in my library of books and googed and hooed
the web. I probably have a good sense for them. Thank you for letting me
know you have no firsthand knowledge of them.
I know it's Dirr's opinion, " As a group, the species have perhaps
little to offer the everyday landscape but are worth considering for
fringe areas of the garden", but, as a native habitat landscaper, I
differ with that. "They are an extremely important food source for
wildlife and particularly birds who disseminate them widely" is
probably a better description. The jelly, which sells for a premium, is
good tasting. The c. opaca is not as pretty as the c.marshalli.

Living in Texas in ecoregion 2 (gulf prairies and marshes)which has
fringes of ecoregion 1 (pineywoods), I have seen Haws but never paid any
close attention to them. I have identified Parsley Hawthorn (c.
marshalli) on several occasions. Apparently, haws are a good thicket,
understory plant in full/dappled shade. Some haws have thorns and some
don't. Birds sometimes like thorned specimens for cover and protection.

The reason I posted this is I am looking for people who have planted
specimens of this family.
I am grouping Redbay, Sassafras, Carloina Buckthorn, Rusty Blackhaw
Viburnum, Possomhaw Viburnum and Farkleberry near this proposed specimen
planting to enhance my certified wildlife habitat,
http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/Dscn0344.jpg to draw more species of
wildlife.

Thanks again for your reply,

J. Kolenovsky
http://www.celestialhabitats.com
=

David J Bockman wrote:
=

I have no firsthand experience with them. Here's what Dirr has to say:
=

"Selected species in the Southeast are affectionately termed Mayhaw and=

are
grown for their reddish (some blue-purple) fruits which are processed i=

nto
jellies, et al. The jelly is a rich rose red, jewel-like agar with a sl=

ight
tangy taste. As a group, the species have perhaps little to offer the
everyday landscape but are worth considering for fringe areas of the ga=

rden.
The taxonomy is extremely muddled and one reference lists over 100, ano=

ther
lists 35, species for the Southeast. Approximately 1000 species of
CRATAEGUS have been proposed as legitimate. The reasons for lack of
consistency include apomixis, polyploidy, and aneuploidy which results =

in
unusual chromosome numbers that may be perpetuated via apomixis. The sp=

ecies
occur in many habitats from river bottoms, wet depressions to sandy scr=

ub
oak-pine woods to thin soils of rock outcrops. They are an extremely
important food source for wildlife and particularly birds who dissemina=

te
them widely... Possibly the best review paper is "Mayhaws: Trees of
Pomological and Ornamental Interest," HORTSCIENCE 25:246, 375 (1990).=

"
=

Dave
=