Old 12-12-2003, 06:43 PM
Rusty Mase

Default Fan-Tex Ash tree

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:27:50 GMT,
(Babberney) wrote:
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 20:00:48 -0600, Rusty Mase wrote:
The ones I see around Austin tend to be in well drained
soils so it is not a real bottomland
tree like White Ash can be.

Googling contradicts this--I turned up that the fan-tex is a cultivar
of F. velutina, always grafted onto F. velutina root stock.

Excellent! There are some naturally occuring ashes in the lot next to
mine (Bee Caves Rd/Loop 360) and I might move one to see how it does.
I have always assumed they are Texas ashes, though. White or American
ash seems to be a pretty nice tree, although they may not grow well in
the Austin area. I have contemplated that Texas ash might be a better
alternative around here.

Rusty Mase