Old 11-12-2003, 09:16 PM
Art Vega

Default Fan-Tex Ash tree

Hi,

Are you familiar with this tree?
Does it catch disease often?

I planted one of these trees in my front yard
here in Dallas a couple of years ago.

I'm not sure if its worth it to replace it with
another tree like a pecan tree or an oak tree
now that it is still small.

Please post any information,

Thanks,
Art
Old 12-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Rusty Mase

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 05:40:47 GMT, "Brian Clifton"
wrote:

This tree is a hybrid that will grow fast, and has a supposed life span of
about 15-20 yrs max.

Sounds as if they crossed a Texas Ash with an Arizona Ash. Might be
interesting to see what they really combined for the hybrid.

Does anyone have one growing they can post some information about? I
went to BSN to get a Texas Ash and they recommended a Fan-Tex instead.
I got confused and got neither.

Rusty Mase

Old 12-12-2003, 05:43 PM
Babberney

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 20:00:48 -0600, Rusty Mase wrote:

On 11 Dec 2003 13:11:19 -0800, (Art Vega) wrote:

I planted one of these trees in my front yard
here in Dallas a couple of years ago.

This is (I think) a cultivar of Texas Ash (Fraxinus texanus) and a
western variant of White Ash. So it should be fairly drought
resistent and possibly slow growing.

Fan Tex (Texas) Ash is supposed to be more columnar and faster growing
than the native species and may be a hybrid with the the more eastern
White Ash. So I would recommend you baby this tree a little to see how
it will do. Maybe a little deep root fertilization around the outer
canopy line along with some soil aeration. The ones I see around
Austin tend to be in well drained soils so it is not a real bottomland
tree like White Ash can be.

Rusty Mase

Googling contradicts this--I turned up that the fan-tex is a cultivar
of F. velutina, always grafted onto F. velutina root stock. It was
described as broader/more spreading than it's progenitors.

To answer the original question, I don't know a lot about this tree
specifically (thus the googling) but generally I vote yes for any
attempts to kill an ash and plant an oak or other long-lived tree. In
general, ash trees are sprawling, brittle, short-lived trees that
often have poor branch structure. You may enjoy it for many years but
in the next half-century or so it will begin to decline and the corpse
will cost a fortune to remove.

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit
http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/

Old 12-12-2003, 06:33 PM
Waynne

Rusty
I don't have one of these but my neighbor has one about eight years old that
is about 20 feet in height. I believe it was a hybrid produced by Mr.
Fanick, at Fanick's Nursery in San Antonio. You can contact them at
www.growise.com/fanick.htm

Waynne Cox
wrote:

This tree is a hybrid that will grow fast, and has a supposed life span

of
about 15-20 yrs max.

Sounds as if they crossed a Texas Ash with an Arizona Ash. Might be
interesting to see what they really combined for the hybrid.

Does anyone have one growing they can post some information about? I
went to BSN to get a Texas Ash and they recommended a Fan-Tex instead.
I got confused and got neither.

Rusty Mase

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Old 12-12-2003, 07:04 PM
Art Vega

Please let me add a few more details:

On the label of my tree it said Fan-Tex Ash (Fraxinus Velutina).
The Arizona Ash tree has the exact same name, so I'm not
sure if its the same tree with different names, the label
is not accurate (I bought it from Home Depot), or actually
a hybrid like you propose.

I have read that the Arizona ash is not recomended to be
planted in this area because of its problems, mainly the
root roth disease. If my Fan-Tex is actually the same as
the Arizona Ash its probably going to have the same kind
of problems. On the other hand, the White Ash is supposed to
do well. In a park near my home there are several of these
at least 50ft tall.

I'm also considering planting the pecan tree next to it anyway,
and decide in a year or two which one do I keep.

Art