Old 13-12-2003, 05:04 AM
J Kolenovsky

Default Crataegus opaca (Mayhaw)

Dang it, I forgot Mexican Buckeye (Ungnadia speciosa).

Jim Lewis wrote:
=

There may be 5-6 people in the nation who can make a legitimate
claim to be hawthorn experts. I'm not one of them, but I have
grown small ones in small pots. They are _extremely_ difficult
to transplant in a trunk size over an inch in width at the base.
=

I've grown parsley haw -- or what I've identified as parsley haw,
because it and all the rest of the genus are so variable and
cross breed so easily that you can never be sure. We have
mayhaws down here, but they aren't identified as C. opaca, but,
rather C. aestivalis which is, in many instances, almost
indistinguishable from our native crabapple, except when in
fruit. There's a fellow just down the road from me (I live In
The Country!) who sells "mayhaw honey" but it is -- I think --
really from Malus angustifolia. ;-), which is the only
early-spring-flowering tree (aside from Chickasaw plums - P.
angustifolia (!)) - I saw when I wandered his 300 acres a few
years ago.
=

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - VEGETARIAN:
An Indian word meaning "lousy hunter."

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 -