Old 13-12-2003, 10:45 PM
John Savage

Default Sweet lemons

"Snogoose" writes:
John, That is exactly what I was looking for, the bush lemon type of fruit,
but I seem to be unable to buy a tree with fruit like the old bush lemons I
knew as a kid. I could peel and eat the fruit just like eating a mandarin,
as well as eating the thick skin. Beautiful. If you know where I can get a
tree like this I would be most appreciative. Thanks, Sno

I like to nibble on the lemon skin, too -- not the yellow zest, just the
white pith. That's where the bioflavinoids are said to be, BTW, in the soft
white part of the skin in citrus.

I'd be surprised if anyone sells bush lemon seedlings. Perhaps you might
find one at weekend markets? That might be a place to ask, anyway. I grew
mine from seed. I like retelling the story: I bought a Meyer lemon from
the fish and chip shop and found that the seeds inside it had started to
sprout, so I planted a dozen of them and many grew. Five or six years
later I had a vigorous Meyer lemon and a bush lemon tree bearing fruit
the size of baseballs!

I think that the bush lemon is the rootstock of most commercial lemon
seedlings. So you could examine some and see whether there seems to be
enough of the root stock that you could prune off everything above the
graft and grow from the stock. Perhaps you'll find a damaged seedling
somewhere that has begun sprouting from below the graft -- buy it and
cut off at the graft and encourage growth from below the graft.

There might even be someone here who has a bush lemon they'd like to
give away. Seedlings that emerge in the compost heap will sometimes
turn out to be bush lemons. Good luck in your quest!