Old 14-12-2003, 12:05 AM
Gary

Default Sealing Clay Pots

"Sammy'" wrote in message om...
Is there anything that can be done to clay pots to seal them up. Either
something to spray on the whole thing or just to coat the inside. I like the
look of clay pots but after time minerals and crud start to leach through
the pot. I do clean them off from time to time. Has anyone every done this
before and what have you used.

A couple of years ago, I made the mistake of trying to seal a few of
my clay pots with a clear spray acrylic. They looked pretty good the
first season, but by the second season, the acrylic began to peel off
in yellowish flakes, and it got progressively worse. Also, this did
not deter the natural tendency for clay pots to leach mineral
deposits. Finally, I used a wire brush to remove the rest of this
yellow scale, so I was able to salvage the pots. Like others have
said, due to the porous nature of clay, it is probably not a good idea
to try to seal it.
I do have a strawberry pot from Mexico that I acquired about 10 years
ago. It has a black (tar?) sealant on the inside, but the outside was
not treated. It has survived fairly well over the years. Every fall,
I empty my clay pots, clean them, let them dry, and then store them
upside down on a shelf out of the weather for the winter, so they
won't get wet, freeze, and crack.
Hope this is helpful.
Gary