Old 12-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Sammy'

Default Sealing Clay Pots

Is there anything that can be done to clay pots to seal them up. Either
something to spray on the whole thing or just to coat the inside. I like the
look of clay pots but after time minerals and crud start to leach through
the pot. I do clean them off from time to time. Has anyone every done this
before and what have you used.

Old 12-12-2003, 05:03 PM
Shell

There's a spray sealer made for clay pots. You can get it from Michael's
craft stores. I haven't used it so I an't tell you if it works well or not

Shell

m...

Old 13-12-2003, 04:12 AM
David Ross

Sammy' wrote:

Is there anything that can be done to clay pots to seal them up. Either
something to spray on the whole thing or just to coat the inside. I like the
look of clay pots but after time minerals and crud start to leach through
the pot. I do clean them off from time to time. Has anyone every done this
before and what have you used.

I would not seal them. I use clay pots specifically because they
are porous.

Moisture evaporating through the sides (even when they don't look
damp) keeps the soil in the pot cool even in full sun. It's that
evaporation process that causes the mineral build-up on the
outside of the pot.

There is also some air penetration into the pot through the porous
sides, which is very important for confined roots.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 14-12-2003, 12:05 AM
Gary

"Sammy'" wrote in message om...
Is there anything that can be done to clay pots to seal them up. Either
something to spray on the whole thing or just to coat the inside. I like the
look of clay pots but after time minerals and crud start to leach through
the pot. I do clean them off from time to time. Has anyone every done this
before and what have you used.

A couple of years ago, I made the mistake of trying to seal a few of
my clay pots with a clear spray acrylic. They looked pretty good the
first season, but by the second season, the acrylic began to peel off
in yellowish flakes, and it got progressively worse. Also, this did
not deter the natural tendency for clay pots to leach mineral
deposits. Finally, I used a wire brush to remove the rest of this
yellow scale, so I was able to salvage the pots. Like others have
said, due to the porous nature of clay, it is probably not a good idea
to try to seal it.
I do have a strawberry pot from Mexico that I acquired about 10 years
ago. It has a black (tar?) sealant on the inside, but the outside was
not treated. It has survived fairly well over the years. Every fall,
I empty my clay pots, clean them, let them dry, and then store them
upside down on a shelf out of the weather for the winter, so they
won't get wet, freeze, and crack.
Hope this is helpful.
Gary
Old 14-12-2003, 04:02 AM
Stephen M. Henning

"Sammy'" wrote:

Is there anything that can be done to clay pots to seal them up. Either
something to spray on the whole thing or just to coat the inside. I like the
look of clay pots but after time minerals and crud start to leach through
the pot. I do clean them off from time to time. Has anyone every done this
before and what have you used.

Just set a plastic pot inside the clay pot. Problem solved.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Old 14-12-2003, 12:32 PM
Nicole Thompson

My grandmother used to line her clay pots w/aluminum foil - very simple,
hidden, and effective solution.

Good luck - whatever you decide to try,
Nicole

m...

Old 14-12-2003, 03:02 PM
Phisherman

I've seen something similar. Strips of aluminum foil placed on the
ridge of a clay pot growing African violets. The salts tend to rot
the stems and the foil prevents that. I like clay pots, although they
do show salt deposits. Plant roots benefit from the properties of clay
pots, and sealing the pot removes that benefit. To clean them, soak
the pots in a bucket of water for several days, then repeat with fresh
until the water is clear. You can always buy terra-colored plastic
pots or set the clay pot in another container.

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 07:14:53 -0500, "Nicole Thompson"
wrote:

My grandmother used to line her clay pots w/aluminum foil - very simple,
hidden, and effective solution.

Good luck - whatever you decide to try,
Nicole

om...

Old 14-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Graham

"Nicole Thompson" wrote in message
My grandmother used to line her clay pots w/aluminum foil - very simple,
hidden, and effective solution.

Good luck - whatever you decide to try,
Nicole

"Sammy'" wrote in message
m...
Is there anything that can be done to clay pots to seal them up. Either
something to spray on the whole thing or just to coat the inside. I like

the
look of clay pots but after time minerals and crud start to leach

through
the pot. I do clean them off from time to time. Has anyone every done

this
before and what have you used.

The nurseries here sell a water-based proofing liquid. You paint the new
pots with it (inside and out) and it soaks into the terra cotta. You let it
cure for 24 hrs before use. The color of the pot is not affected.
Graham

Old 15-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Graham

"Beecrofter" wrote in message
om...
"Sammy'" wrote in message

om...
Is there anything that can be done to clay pots to seal them up. Either
something to spray on the whole thing or just to coat the inside. I like

the
look of clay pots but after time minerals and crud start to leach

through
the pot. I do clean them off from time to time. Has anyone every done

this
before and what have you used.

Canning wax.

In a previous post on this thread I described a pot sealing solution. The
product is:

"Seal-A-Pot"
Distributed by:
Haney Pottery Sales Ltd.,
Delta, B.C.
Canada

For those south of the border, I would imagine that your local nursery could
either order it from them or find out who the manufacterer is.

Graham

[IMG] code is On

Sealing a Garden Shed @ ground level Barry Watts Ponds 4 18-01-2004 12:24 AM
Sealing a pond PM United Kingdom 3 20-10-2003 02:22 PM
Sealing the base of a garden shed. Barry Watts United Kingdom 1 07-04-2003 03:32 AM
Clay Clay and More Clay BTInternet News United Kingdom 0 19-03-2003 09:32 PM
re-sealing seed packages eddy United Kingdom 6 14-02-2003 09:49 PM