Old 14-12-2003, 07:02 PM
Gail Futoran

Default depressed-blah

"ed" wrote in message
. com...
new to this newsgroup, not to roses-got 100 or so in the

ground.
Somewhat depressed, being winter here, roses taking a nap,

worrying about
the pending ice storm and what it might do. Question for

the group-is there
any "rule of thumb" as to which roses root easier?Do

shrubs root easier than
floribunda, or does it vary from rose to rose/

thanks
ed

I've never tried rooting modern (grafted) roses, but I have
had good luck with mini ramblers (Red Cascade), Hybrid
Perpetuals (Ferdinand Pichard), and Bourbons (Honorine de
Brabant). Oddly enough I had zero luck with another
Bourbon, Variegata di Bologna, which in my garden is a huge
plant that grows like a weed - new growth from the root all
the time. Why wouldn't it propogate? I dunno.

I'd probably stick with own root plants to attempt
propagation, but that would include moderns that are grown
well as own roots (e.g. Moody Dream). I don't use rooting
hormone or a plastic "tent", just good potting soil and I
keep the pot in semi-shade and keep the soil damp until the
cutting roots (new leaf growth appears).

Gail
San Antonio TX Zone 8