Old 13-12-2003, 09:02 PM
ed

Default depressed-blah

new to this newsgroup, not to roses-got 100 or so in the ground.
Somewhat depressed, being winter here, roses taking a nap, worrying about
the pending ice storm and what it might do. Question for the group-is there
any "rule of thumb" as to which roses root easier?Do shrubs root easier than
floribunda, or does it vary from rose to rose/

thanks
ed

Old 14-12-2003, 11:52 AM
Unique Too

Somewhat depressed, being winter here, roses taking a nap, worrying about
the pending ice storm and what it might do.

Good Morning Ed and welcome to RGR.
It may not make you feel any better, but I'm in a warm climate and my gardens
are depressing this time of year also. The roses are still blooming, but many
are suffering from one fungal disease or another, the annuals in and around the
roses are looking very ratty, the weeds are still growing and I don't have any
time to take care of all the problems! It's times like these I wish for a
colder climate so I would have an excuse to skip gardening chores.

Question for the group-is there
any "rule of thumb" as to which roses root easier?Do shrubs root easier than
floribunda, or does it vary from rose to rose/

I've read China roses are among the easiest to root and they are the class the
roots the easiest and quickest for me. I took a few cuttings from Emmie Gray
just a few weeks ago and they have lots of small roots and are already blooming
in their soda bottle greenhouse. (Something else I must do soon, open them to
some air and repot them.)
I don't think I've ever had cutting from a polyantha fail either. They may
take a few extra weeks, but they do root.
I've been successful with many types of roses, but the only ones that I've
never been able to root are Hybrid Teas. Since they are overall my least
favorite garden rose, maybe I don't try as hard and I know I have tried less
often.

I hope you and your roses do not suffer too much in the ice storms. At least
that's one thing I don't have to worry with in my climate.

Julie

Old 14-12-2003, 07:02 PM
Gail Futoran

"ed" wrote in message
. com...
new to this newsgroup, not to roses-got 100 or so in the

ground.
Somewhat depressed, being winter here, roses taking a nap,

worrying about
the pending ice storm and what it might do. Question for

the group-is there
any "rule of thumb" as to which roses root easier?Do

shrubs root easier than
floribunda, or does it vary from rose to rose/

thanks
ed

I've never tried rooting modern (grafted) roses, but I have
had good luck with mini ramblers (Red Cascade), Hybrid
Perpetuals (Ferdinand Pichard), and Bourbons (Honorine de
Brabant). Oddly enough I had zero luck with another
Bourbon, Variegata di Bologna, which in my garden is a huge
plant that grows like a weed - new growth from the root all
the time. Why wouldn't it propogate? I dunno.

I'd probably stick with own root plants to attempt
propagation, but that would include moderns that are grown
well as own roots (e.g. Moody Dream). I don't use rooting
hormone or a plastic "tent", just good potting soil and I
keep the pot in semi-shade and keep the soil damp until the
cutting roots (new leaf growth appears).

Gail
San Antonio TX Zone 8