Old 16-12-2003, 01:12 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Spinach experts?

In article ,
Max Wright writes:

| That seems to me a bit defeatist. Just because things grow slowly now
| doesn't mean they're not worth growing at all, particularly if you can
| give them some protection. This year and last, gardening in a frost
| pocket in North London (it was -6 here last night), I've picked salad
| and other leaves - including spinach - right through the winter months,
| both in the open and under plastic or fleece.
|
| Where I would agree with Nick is that things don't get started very well
| at this time of year - seedlings seem to need a lot more light than is
| available now - so in my experience it's best to sow in August and early
| September.

Precisely. I didn't say that they wouldn't survive, but that they
wouldn't GROW. Established plants won't grow significantly, either,
but effectively sit there during the darkest months of winter.

If you don't have plants already established, there is little point
in starting them now. In early February, there will be a LOT more
light (though still very little), and the level will be increasing
rapidly. In early March, the light level will be enough to plant
most hardy seeds.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.