Old 16-12-2003, 12:36 AM
bnd777

Default Spinach experts?

Anyone experience of growing spincah in the South of the UK ?

Can i grow it in the winter in a cold frame or a greenhouse ?

Old 16-12-2003, 08:34 AM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:15:34 +0000 (UTC), bnd777 wrote:

Anyone experience of growing spincah in the South of the UK ?
Can i grow it in the winter in a cold frame or a greenhouse ?

I don't have any experince of growing it in the winter but
I know it doesn't like hot weather very much, so you might get away with
it. You can grow it as a green manure in October, so I suppose it'll be ok
in a greenhouse.
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Old 16-12-2003, 08:34 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"bnd777" writes:
| Anyone experience of growing spincah in the South of the UK ?
|
| Can i grow it in the winter in a cold frame or a greenhouse ?

Effectively, no. No light. You can't grow ANYTHING here in
the depths of winter, at least not effectively. What you can do
is to start it off in (say) February.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-12-2003, 01:02 PM
Max Wright

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
"bnd777" writes:
| Anyone experience of growing spincah in the South of the UK ?
|
| Can i grow it in the winter in a cold frame or a greenhouse ?

Effectively, no. No light. You can't grow ANYTHING here in
the depths of winter, at least not effectively. What you can do
is to start it off in (say) February.

That seems to me a bit defeatist. Just because things grow slowly now
doesn't mean they're not worth growing at all, particularly if you can
give them some protection. This year and last, gardening in a frost
pocket in North London (it was -6 here last night), I've picked salad
and other leaves - including spinach - right through the winter months,
both in the open and under plastic or fleece.

Where I would agree with Nick is that things don't get started very well
at this time of year - seedlings seem to need a lot more light than is
available now - so in my experience it's best to sow in August and early
September.

On spinach specifically, last year I grew Giant Winter, Viroflay and
Samish, all sown in the open in late August/early September. Samish and
Viroflay were under fleece from mid October, Giant Winter in the open.
I got quite a lot of "baby" leaves from the Samish, but not much from
Viroflay, which went a bit yellow - I felt it didn't like being under
fleece, which obviously does cut down the light. The best by far was
Giant Winter, but that didn't really start producing much until April.

This year I meant to get them all in earlier but didn't quite manage it.
So far I've had several small pickings of Samish from a 1 metre row sown
on Aug 23rd and about 2 meals' worth from 2 metres of Giant Winter sown
on Sept 7th, this year both covered with fleece when frost has
threatened but otherwise in the open.

--
Max Wright
www.wys-systems.demon.co.uk/plotcrop
Old 16-12-2003, 01:12 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Max Wright writes:

| That seems to me a bit defeatist. Just because things grow slowly now
| doesn't mean they're not worth growing at all, particularly if you can
| give them some protection. This year and last, gardening in a frost
| pocket in North London (it was -6 here last night), I've picked salad
| and other leaves - including spinach - right through the winter months,
| both in the open and under plastic or fleece.
|
| Where I would agree with Nick is that things don't get started very well
| at this time of year - seedlings seem to need a lot more light than is
| available now - so in my experience it's best to sow in August and early
| September.

Precisely. I didn't say that they wouldn't survive, but that they
wouldn't GROW. Established plants won't grow significantly, either,
but effectively sit there during the darkest months of winter.

If you don't have plants already established, there is little point
in starting them now. In early February, there will be a LOT more
light (though still very little), and the level will be increasing
rapidly. In early March, the light level will be enough to plant
most hardy seeds.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 16-12-2003, 03:13 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from "bnd777" contains these words:

Anyone experience of growing spincah in the South of the UK ?

Can i grow it in the winter in a cold frame or a greenhouse ?

I`ve got Spinach growing in south lincs still. How much longer it`ll
last I dont know. Sow it and see.
Old 16-12-2003, 06:42 PM
Mary Fisher

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Max Wright writes:

| That seems to me a bit defeatist. Just because things grow slowly now
| doesn't mean they're not worth growing at all, particularly if you can
| give them some protection. This year and last, gardening in a frost
| pocket in North London (it was -6 here last night), I've picked salad
| and other leaves - including spinach - right through the winter months,
| both in the open and under plastic or fleece.
|
| Where I would agree with Nick is that things don't get started very

well
| at this time of year - seedlings seem to need a lot more light than is
| available now - so in my experience it's best to sow in August and

early
| September.

Precisely. I didn't say that they wouldn't survive, but that they
wouldn't GROW. Established plants won't grow significantly, either,
but effectively sit there during the darkest months of winter.

That's what's happening with my outdoor Swiss chard, such a pity ... but
there'll be enough for Christmas dinner! And we've had lots from it already.

Mary

How does spinach grow, pls? Request for some info re spinach. fitwell Edible Gardening 11 03-06-2004 03:11 AM
Spinach spikes will United Kingdom 14 05-06-2003 09:19 AM
Unbelievable Spinach! clc Edible Gardening 4 15-04-2003 07:56 PM
spinach again Larry Blanchard Edible Gardening 12 28-03-2003 03:20 PM
Newbie Q: Baby spinach Irving Kimura Edible Gardening 4 04-02-2003 02:43 AM