Old 16-12-2003, 11:12 PM
Andy Rutledge

Default [IBC] Carving slate

Hi Allen,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Allen"
I've been given some big slabs of slate that i'd love to try to turn
into forest slabs the way Joe Day does with "Muck" to hold the soil in
place.
I have two questions .... #1 what do use to cut this slate into
manageable peices and drill holes ? #2. On a web page, Joe describes
his "Muck" as peat moss and powdered clay ... reminds me of hypertufa.
Where can i find this "powdered clay" stuff?

------------------------

You can use a masonry hammer to "cut" the slate. You don't drill holes. No
need. If you need something with which to ties the trees rootpads down, use
cornstarch and superglue mixed to anchor wires to the surface (to later be
covered by soil).

As for the "powdered clay," he means the powder residue of (or just crushed)
akadama (Japanese red clay). You can get akadama from a number of sources,
likely some who advertise on the IBC site. Mix with peat and water and
....voila.

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
www.andyrutledge.com