Old 17-12-2003, 01:02 AM
Jay Sinclair

Default [IBC] Carving slate

I saw an article (can't remember in what publication) in which slabs of
slate were shaped with a pipe wrench. The general idea was that the
shape was marked out in chalk, and the wrench was used as a lever to
break off pieces until the desired shape was obtained. Maybe someone
else will remember where to find this article. I haven't tried this,
but it makes sense - slate is rather brittle, and should break easily
this way. This would leave a more natural looking edge than chiseling or
hammering.

Jay

I've been given some big slabs of slate that i'd love to try to turn
into forest slabs the way Joe Day does with "Muck" to hold the soil in
place.
I have two questions .... #1 what do use to cut this slate into
manageable pieces and drill holes ?

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++