Old 17-12-2003, 10:42 AM
Henrik Gistvall

Default [IBC] Trees to avoid collecting or trying to work with !

Jim Lewis wrote:

My question is: What should i avoid ? What's the best things

and
worst for a relative novice like me.

Ummm. Getting so many trees you can't do any one of them
justice?

Unless you are 85 years old, there's time. You do not need to
own a specimen of every known tree, which is what it sound like
you are trying to do.

You will become (in MY opinion) a much better bonsaiest if you
concentrate on a few trees -- especially to begin. LEARN a
species. Learn how IT reacts to pruning, root pruning, wiring.
LEARN what ITS fertilizer and watering needs are.

I totally agree but... I have not managed to do this. And by excluding
species you really never learn what type of trees you like (or wich
trees like you). Focus on some species that you really love, and try to
learn how to grow them. The others you can keep and play around with,
some you will find suits you, others you can discard.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++