Old 17-12-2003, 04:43 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Maincrop potatoes full of holes

"martin" wrote in message
"Alan wrote in message ...

A large number of my maincrop potatoes have small holes in them,
obviously caused by some sort of slug.

How can I stop this happening next year?

Could also be wireworm by the way. Different sort of holes though.

If there was a definitive answer to your question we would all like to

know.

Try different varieties that are more resistant to slugs like..
..Kestral (has legendary resistance); Golden Wonder; Romano; King Edward;
Pentland Dell; Atlantic; Osprey...

And don't grow..Kondor; Maris Piper; Stemster; Marfona; ....

Once planted 50 Kondor "seeds" and got less than a bucket of whole spuds,
and after all that work. Heartbreaking.

We grow Maris Piper without problems.
--

Officially (NIAB) they are considered to be slug attractors.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
348 data units completed.