Old 16-12-2003, 06:43 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Maincrop potatoes full of holes

A large number of my maincrop potatoes have small holes in them,
obviously caused by some sort of slug.

How can I stop this happening next year?

Alan

Old 16-12-2003, 09:33 PM
Cumberpach

--

This problem occured with the final 2 rows of my late cropping variety.
Probably wireworm or slugs. Next year, I'm going for an early maincrop, to

Pete

Old 16-12-2003, 10:33 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

A large number of my maincrop potatoes have small holes in them,
obviously caused by some sort of slug.

How can I stop this happening next year?

Bribe them with beer in shallow containers, plastic cups etc. They
aren't fussy about the brand.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 16-12-2003, 11:12 PM
Bob Hobden

"Alan wrote in message ...

A large number of my maincrop potatoes have small holes in them,
obviously caused by some sort of slug.

How can I stop this happening next year?

Could also be wireworm by the way. Different sort of holes though.

If there was a definitive answer to your question we would all like to know.

Try different varieties that are more resistant to slugs like..
...Kestral (has legendary resistance); Golden Wonder; Romano; King Edward;
Pentland Dell; Atlantic; Osprey...

And don't grow..Kondor; Maris Piper; Stemster; Marfona; ....

Once planted 50 Kondor "seeds" and got less than a bucket of whole spuds,
and after all that work. Heartbreaking.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
348 data units completed.

Old 16-12-2003, 11:12 PM
martin

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 21:14:48 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

A large number of my maincrop potatoes have small holes in them,
obviously caused by some sort of slug.

How can I stop this happening next year?

Bribe them with beer in shallow containers, plastic cups etc. They
aren't fussy about the brand.

Give them ulcers, give them Heineken
--
Martin

Old 16-12-2003, 11:13 PM
martin

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 23:06:30 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Alan wrote in message ...

A large number of my maincrop potatoes have small holes in them,
obviously caused by some sort of slug.

How can I stop this happening next year?

Could also be wireworm by the way. Different sort of holes though.

If there was a definitive answer to your question we would all like to know.

Try different varieties that are more resistant to slugs like..
..Kestral (has legendary resistance); Golden Wonder; Romano; King Edward;
Pentland Dell; Atlantic; Osprey...

And don't grow..Kondor; Maris Piper; Stemster; Marfona; ....

Once planted 50 Kondor "seeds" and got less than a bucket of whole spuds,
and after all that work. Heartbreaking.

We grow Maris Piper without problems.
--
Martin
Old 17-12-2003, 01:33 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:
wrote:
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these
words:

A large number of my maincrop potatoes have small holes in them,
obviously caused by some sort of slug.

How can I stop this happening next year?

Bribe them with beer in shallow containers, plastic cups etc. They
aren't fussy about the brand.

Give them ulcers, give them Heineken

Unslugs those parts that ulcer beers don't reach?

Old 17-12-2003, 08:03 AM
martin

wrote:
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these
words:

A large number of my maincrop potatoes have small holes in them,
obviously caused by some sort of slug.

How can I stop this happening next year?

Bribe them with beer in shallow containers, plastic cups etc. They
aren't fussy about the brand.

Give them ulcers, give them Heineken

Unslugs those parts that ulcer beers don't reach?

something like that. :-)
--
Martin
Old 17-12-2003, 04:43 PM
Bob Hobden

"martin" wrote in message
"Alan wrote in message ...

A large number of my maincrop potatoes have small holes in them,
obviously caused by some sort of slug.

How can I stop this happening next year?

Could also be wireworm by the way. Different sort of holes though.

If there was a definitive answer to your question we would all like to

know.

Try different varieties that are more resistant to slugs like..
..Kestral (has legendary resistance); Golden Wonder; Romano; King Edward;
Pentland Dell; Atlantic; Osprey...

And don't grow..Kondor; Maris Piper; Stemster; Marfona; ....

Once planted 50 Kondor "seeds" and got less than a bucket of whole spuds,
and after all that work. Heartbreaking.

We grow Maris Piper without problems.
--

Officially (NIAB) they are considered to be slug attractors.

Old 17-12-2003, 05:04 PM
martin

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:39:53 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
"Alan wrote in message ...

A large number of my maincrop potatoes have small holes in them,
obviously caused by some sort of slug.

How can I stop this happening next year?

Could also be wireworm by the way. Different sort of holes though.

If there was a definitive answer to your question we would all like to

know.

Try different varieties that are more resistant to slugs like..
..Kestral (has legendary resistance); Golden Wonder; Romano; King Edward;
Pentland Dell; Atlantic; Osprey...

And don't grow..Kondor; Maris Piper; Stemster; Marfona; ....

Once planted 50 Kondor "seeds" and got less than a bucket of whole spuds,
and after all that work. Heartbreaking.

We grow Maris Piper without problems.
--

Officially (NIAB) they are considered to be slug attractors.

Perhaps we don't have a problem, because there are no slugs?
- based on the organic principle that if you ignore them they go away.
:-)

Maris Piper are virus resistant
--
Martin

Old 17-12-2003, 07:07 PM
Rod

Cumberpach wrote:

This problem occured with the final 2 rows of my late cropping variety.
Probably wireworm or slugs. Next year, I'm going for an early maincrop, to
lift and store before it gets too wet.

Once you've seen both types of damage you can't confuse the 2. Wireworm are smaller
holes for starters - other than that? ...............well they just look like
wireworm damage ;~(( Keep your eyes open you should see the culprits and get the
answer. Wireworm damage is much more common in newly broken grassland, I rarely
see wireworm in this garden I've been cultivating for best part of 30 yrs (had a
lot in the first couple of years. Lifting before it gets too wet is a major factor
- most of the damage happens when it starts to get wet in the autumn so lift your
maincrops in late August if need be. It isn't ideal but you'll save more of the
crop.
--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html