Old 17-12-2003, 05:04 PM
martin

Default Maincrop potatoes full of holes

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:39:53 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
"Alan wrote in message ...

A large number of my maincrop potatoes have small holes in them,
obviously caused by some sort of slug.

How can I stop this happening next year?

Could also be wireworm by the way. Different sort of holes though.

If there was a definitive answer to your question we would all like to

know.

Try different varieties that are more resistant to slugs like..
..Kestral (has legendary resistance); Golden Wonder; Romano; King Edward;
Pentland Dell; Atlantic; Osprey...

And don't grow..Kondor; Maris Piper; Stemster; Marfona; ....

Once planted 50 Kondor "seeds" and got less than a bucket of whole spuds,
and after all that work. Heartbreaking.

We grow Maris Piper without problems.
--

Officially (NIAB) they are considered to be slug attractors.

Perhaps we don't have a problem, because there are no slugs?
- based on the organic principle that if you ignore them they go away.
:-)

Maris Piper are virus resistant
--
Martin