Old 17-12-2003, 07:07 PM
Rod

Default Maincrop potatoes full of holes

Cumberpach wrote:

This problem occured with the final 2 rows of my late cropping variety.
Probably wireworm or slugs. Next year, I'm going for an early maincrop, to
lift and store before it gets too wet.

Once you've seen both types of damage you can't confuse the 2. Wireworm are smaller
holes for starters - other than that? ...............well they just look like
wireworm damage ;~(( Keep your eyes open you should see the culprits and get the
answer. Wireworm damage is much more common in newly broken grassland, I rarely
see wireworm in this garden I've been cultivating for best part of 30 yrs (had a
lot in the first couple of years. Lifting before it gets too wet is a major factor
- most of the damage happens when it starts to get wet in the autumn so lift your
maincrops in late August if need be. It isn't ideal but you'll save more of the
crop.
--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html