Old 17-12-2003, 07:32 PM
The Q

Default Garden security device wanted

"dave" wrote in message
om...
We have a problem with "Yoofs" coming into our garden on an night; its
not so much the being in the garden thats the problem (althoug that in
itself is bad enough) but the destroying of plants in the process. I
remember seeing on a UK gardening program sometime ago that had a
device that was basically a blank shotgun cartridge that had a was
held in a bracket then had spring loaded firing pin held in place by
fishing line that could be strung around the perimeter that you wanted
to protect. You disturbed the wire, the firing pin was released and
the shotgun shell was fired, resulting in nothing more than a rather
large bang. Does anybody know the name of this product?

TIA
Dave

Sadly it would probably be illegal to use a shotgun blank in this way in
the UK,
1 you'd break all sorts of noise regulations and
2 they are dangerous.. as we found out at the sailing club where we have a
cannon which uses shotgun blanks to finish races... one boat finished close
to the cannon and a hole was blown through a sail by the burning wadding!!!!

In our old place we to had problems with yoofs normally after their errant
footballs, even the six foot fence was only a minor deterrant we finally
moved to the country....

The Q