Old 15-12-2003, 03:01 PM
dave

Default UK: Garden security device wanted

We have a problem with "Yoofs" coming into our garden on an night; its
not so much the being in the garden thats the problem (althoug that in
itself is bad enough) but the destroying of plants in the process. I
remember seeing on a UK gardening program sometime ago that had a
device that was basically a blank shotgun cartridge that had a was
held in a bracket then had spring loaded firing pin held in place by
fishing line that could be strung around the perimeter that you wanted
to protect. You disturbed the wire, the firing pin was released and
the shotgun shell was fired, resulting in nothing more than a rather
large bang. Does anybody know the name of this product?

TIA
Dave

Please note: Yes I have informed the police. Yes I have installed PIR
lighting (anymore and I'll need a direct line to the power station).
No I don't wan't to kill anybody, just scare them away and preferably
keep them out of the garden. Yes I have pyracanthas protecting the
perimeter. No I don't want a 6ft fence. No I don't know why there are
in my garden.
Old 15-12-2003, 03:13 PM
Registered User

Location: OLDHAM

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
[...]

Hi have you tried cctv ?
Old 15-12-2003, 03:58 PM
Jim W

dave wrote:

We have a problem with "Yoofs" coming into our garden on an night; its
not so much the being in the garden thats the problem (althoug that in
itself is bad enough) but the destroying of plants in the process. I
remember seeing on a UK gardening program sometime ago that had a
device that was basically a blank shotgun cartridge that had a was
held in a bracket then had spring loaded firing pin held in place by
fishing line that could be strung around the perimeter that you wanted
to protect. You disturbed the wire, the firing pin was released and
the shotgun shell was fired, resulting in nothing more than a rather
large bang. Does anybody know the name of this product?

Hi Dave.. Try any good agricultural suppliers/farm shop.. I believe
its known as a bird scarer!-)

See also a fairly recent very long thread about problems with 'yoofs'
from URG

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...=googlet&th=ba
f01c310b49ca77&seekm=b9cvob%24dr5%241%40newsg3.svr .pol.co.uk#link1

Jim

Old 15-12-2003, 04:34 PM

have you seen any of the scarecrow water cannons? they are used to protect fish
ponds from predators but lots of people use them to keep cats and dogs out of their
gardens as well. Ingrid

(dave) wrote:
We have a problem with "Yoofs" coming into our garden on an night;

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 15-12-2003, 06:02 PM
Harvey

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g60ef7.1rafho712540i6N%00senetnospamtodayta@ macunlimited.net...
dave wrote:

We have a problem with "Yoofs" coming into our garden on an night; its

Hi Dave.. Try any good agricultural suppliers/farm shop.. I believe
its known as a bird scarer!-)

See also a fairly recent very long thread about problems with 'yoofs'
from URG

Most bird scarers use a gas cylinder slowly bleeding gas unttil an explosive
mixture is reached. It would make a lovely target for a 'Yoof' to play
with.............
I suspect this, or an empty cartridge, would be more than slightly frowned
on by the authorities these days, & quite probably by neighbours too!
Next thing you know there will be a hit squad in flak jackets surrounding
your house.................

H.

Old 15-12-2003, 08:32 PM
Jim W

dave wrote:

We have a problem with "Yoofs" coming into our garden on an night; its

Hi Dave.. Try any good agricultural suppliers/farm shop.. I believe
its known as a bird scarer!-)

See also a fairly recent very long thread about problems with 'yoofs'
from URG

Most bird scarers use a gas cylinder slowly bleeding gas unttil an explosive
mixture is reached. It would make a lovely target for a 'Yoof' to play
with.............
I suspect this, or an empty cartridge, would be more than slightly frowned
on by the authorities these days, & quite probably by neighbours too!
Next thing you know there will be a hit squad in flak jackets surrounding
your house.................

H.

Quite possibly though I did answer the OP's Q I think!-)

Jim
Old 17-12-2003, 07:32 PM
The Q

Default Garden security device wanted

"dave" wrote in message
om...
We have a problem with "Yoofs" coming into our garden on an night; its
not so much the being in the garden thats the problem (althoug that in
itself is bad enough) but the destroying of plants in the process. I
remember seeing on a UK gardening program sometime ago that had a
device that was basically a blank shotgun cartridge that had a was
held in a bracket then had spring loaded firing pin held in place by
fishing line that could be strung around the perimeter that you wanted
to protect. You disturbed the wire, the firing pin was released and
the shotgun shell was fired, resulting in nothing more than a rather
large bang. Does anybody know the name of this product?

TIA
Dave

Sadly it would probably be illegal to use a shotgun blank in this way in
the UK,
1 you'd break all sorts of noise regulations and
2 they are dangerous.. as we found out at the sailing club where we have a
cannon which uses shotgun blanks to finish races... one boat finished close
to the cannon and a hole was blown through a sail by the burning wadding!!!!

In our old place we to had problems with yoofs normally after their errant
footballs, even the six foot fence was only a minor deterrant we finally
moved to the country....

The Q

[IMG] code is On

FA/FS: Garden Security Australia 1 14-10-2006 10:27 PM
UK: Garden security device wanted dave Gardening 1 15-12-2003 02:47 PM
UK: Garden security device wanted dave Gardening 0 15-12-2003 02:32 PM
Garden Security Neil Phillips Texas 0 18-07-2003 12:32 AM
Garden furniture security MJG United Kingdom 15 28-04-2003 06:44 PM