Old 18-12-2003, 07:32 AM

Default water chem question for planted tank

So anyways would CO2 get my pH down to a more reasonable level? Would the
use of pH lowering additives be a good idea? Or don't worry about it and
pray the fish will be fine, and be happy that my current 2 plant types are
growing like mad? Any sites or personal info welcome on overcoming this
problem, but unfortunately expensive fixes like RO systems are out of the
question for me, as I am quite limited on spare cash.

Thanks in advance

I'd buy the CO2 if growing plants is your goal.
RO water does not grow plants.
Plants don't do better in softer water anymore than hard.
Adding CO2 is what the plants really want.

It will lower the pH also which will help the fish some, but many
LFS's, hobbyist keeping SA soft water fish do not use RO/softening
methods.

I had a GH of 24, much higher than yours, KH of 15, my fish did
fine(Rummy noses/cardinals etc). Plants did super.
The water tasted like crap though.

A little under 2w/gal is good.
Add enough CO2 to get the pH to 7.2 to 7.3 and keep it there during
the daylight period.

The main purpose of adding CO2 is to supply the plants with carbon.
When the plants are healthy, so are the fish.

_Only_ use CO2 gas to lower pH in a planted tank.

You get this down, the rest is relative easy to deal with(nutrients).
Fish wise, you might not be able to breed some of these fish, but you
can certainly keep many fish at the GH/KH levels from the well. You
can also try out other fish, even some rift fish that don't dig/eat
plants(there are plants in both lakes BTW).

I contend it is a myth that anyone needs a RO for a planted tank, they
might want it/need it for a _fish_, but _not_ for the plants. The only
exceptions are a couple of salty cases and one high copper(2-3ppm
Cu)tap.

Regards,
Tom Barr