Old 18-12-2003, 02:12 PM
animaux

Default Long Island - Bought live Alberta Spruce...

If you can dig holes now and if the soil is not soaking wet, it is best to plant
the trees now, or heel them in, but keep them watered in their containers if you
don't do any of that.

If you are on Long Island, you are in between 6b and 7a.

On 18 Dec 2003 13:51:05 GMT, (HA HA Budys Here) opined:

Hello, I'm In zone 5 I think - Long Island NY. I just picked up 2 live 5' tall
dwarf Alberta Spruce shrubs on closeout. (Already decorated for Christmas,
lights, bows, etc.) They're in only 5 gallon pots, which I think for the
height, 5' and the width at the base (30") is a little small. I'll have these
on my 2nd floor deck until the 1st week of Jan, then intend to heel them in at
the first possible opportunity.

I was wondering I'f I'm better off buying a couple of large tubs and some soil,
and just set them in those NOW, and leave them till spring. The tubs would be
punctured for drainage and hold at least 4 40 lb. bags of soil each. My fear is
the pots they were sold in just aren't large enough to hold and provide
adequate moisture, even with diligent watering.

TIA