Old 18-12-2003, 04:08 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Trees to avoid collecting or trying to work with !

What I was hoping for here were some "stay away" advice ...
like
"don't try norfolk island pine, or eastern red cedar" ...
Please give me a common name for Enkianthus.

OK.

Norfolk Island pine make terrible bonsai. (Eastern red cedar is
OK. )

MOST of the magnolias are no-nos. Most American oaks with Deeply
LOBED leaves don't work.

MANY trees with compound leaves don't work.

Avoid all trees with leaves (or needles) over 4 inches long.

All that said, there will be someone who has made a successful
bonsai out of each of those trees or groups.

And this will be helpful: Enkianthus are known as . . .
Enkianthus. There's the "redvein E." and the "bent E." and the
"white E." although most don't seem to have any common name.
Which only goes to show (AGAIN) that you can NOT (and should not)
rely on common names.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only to the
white man was nature a wilderness -- Luther Standing Bear
(Ogallala Sioux Chief)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++