Old 18-12-2003, 08:33 PM
martin

Default Pots in the North

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 18:19:32 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

(I get lamb suet saved for me by my local butcher, for making white
pudding.)

My sheep supplier (my daughter) saves the suet for me to make candles.

Tallow, per-lease!

The candles I make are tallow, certainly. But one mustn't assume the
knowledge of the readers. when it's in the sheep it's suet. If I used it for
cooking it would be suet. People know what suet is, mostly, they don't know
what tallow is, mostly. If you say you make tallow candles they screw up
their noses and usually say it stinks, which is doesn't. I've had people
telling me that only the rich could afford tallow candles.

People just don't know.

Delia Smith thinks that suet comes from beef. OED says from oxen or
sheep.
--
Martin