Old 18-12-2003, 01:32 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Pots in the North

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

(I get lamb suet saved for me by my local butcher, for making white

pudding.)

My sheep supplier (my daughter) saves the suet for me to make candles.

Tallow, per-lease!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 18-12-2003, 01:32 AM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from martin contains these words:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:25:58 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:
The message
from martin contains these words:

Delia and her husband Michael are *the* major* shareholders of

Norwich
City. Without their money there would be no Norwich City.

Norwich City is a bit more than the footy club, you know.

Are you sure? Are you confusing Norwich City with the City of Norwich?

There's a
cathedral, well, two, actually, and some shops, and a bunch of

theatres,
and a couple of rivers, one or two pubs, a bus stop and a railway
station even.

You forgot Colmans Mustard Museum and the castle.

I have no interest in the bladder-kicking.

Nor me. It's a game for drunken yobs

I wouldn't go as far as to say that. It certainly attracts them to the
terraces and opposing fans though.

Me, I have never hit, kicked or thrown a ball, except in anger.
I do occasionally watch rugby, but only for the joy of anticipating a
cracked skull or broken leg.
Ditto ice hockey.

Franz

Old 18-12-2003, 01:32 AM
Franz Heymann

"martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 20:07:18 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

I wouldn't go as far as to say that. It certainly attracts them to the
terraces and opposing fans though.

I wouldn't know about that the only terraces, I frequent are in
vineyards.

That sentence takes the cake for poor construction.
{:-((

Franz

Old 18-12-2003, 01:32 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

wrote:

I wouldn't go as far as to say that. It certainly attracts them to the
terraces and opposing fans though.

I wouldn't know about that the only terraces, I frequent are in
vineyards.

......figures.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 18-12-2003, 01:32 AM
Mary Fisher

"Andy Hunt" wrote in message

Smoked garlic and gilded lilies are in the same class.
Neat garlick is next to godliness. It does not need smoking.

I agree, but the poster said he'd bought some.

It was the smell more than anything, before cooking. I didn't really

notice
any difference in the taste, to be honest, although it was in with a lot

of
other stuff.

It sounds to me as though it was sprayed. Properly smoked garlic looks and
tastes and, when cut, smells very different from unsmoked garlic.

My test now is to peel off some of the skin before I buy it. If the seller
is genuine he won't mind. If it is genuinely smoked you'll see the
difference.

Mary

Andrew

Old 18-12-2003, 01:42 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

I wouldn't know about that the only terraces, I frequent are in
vineyards.

That sentence takes the cake for poor construction.

He's got the motile comma virus.

Old 18-12-2003, 09:04 AM
martin

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:18:10 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Hunt" wrote in message

Smoked garlic and gilded lilies are in the same class.
Neat garlick is next to godliness. It does not need smoking.

I agree, but the poster said he'd bought some.

It was the smell more than anything, before cooking. I didn't really

notice
any difference in the taste, to be honest, although it was in with a lot

of
other stuff.

It sounds to me as though it was sprayed. Properly smoked garlic looks and
tastes and, when cut, smells very different from unsmoked garlic.

My test now is to peel off some of the skin before I buy it. If the seller
is genuine he won't mind. If it is genuinely smoked you'll see the
difference.

I hope you complain to the trading standards officer too.

It's a type of fraud isn't it?
--
Martin
Old 18-12-2003, 09:04 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Andy Hunt
writes

A friend told me you can buy "predators" for these things . . . but spider
mites are more of a pain than a threat, I think. I've never heard of them
killing a plant.

They certainly weakened and all but killed off some of my plants last
year. severely stunted their growth and the plants never recovered.

Someone said washing your plant's leaves with soapy water
gets rid of them.

No it doesn't

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 18-12-2003, 06:43 PM
Mary Fisher

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

(I get lamb suet saved for me by my local butcher, for making white

pudding.)

My sheep supplier (my daughter) saves the suet for me to make candles.

Tallow, per-lease!

The candles I make are tallow, certainly. But one mustn't assume the
knowledge of the readers. when it's in the sheep it's suet. If I used it for
cooking it would be suet. People know what suet is, mostly, they don't know
what tallow is, mostly. If you say you make tallow candles they screw up
their noses and usually say it stinks, which is doesn't. I've had people
telling me that only the rich could afford tallow candles.

People just don't know.

Had I been asked I would have put you on the short list of those I would
expect to know.

Mary (wax and tallow chander)

Mary

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 18-12-2003, 08:33 PM
martin

Mary Fisher wrote:

(I get lamb suet saved for me by my local butcher, for making white
pudding.)

My sheep supplier (my daughter) saves the suet for me to make candles.

Tallow, per-lease!

The candles I make are tallow, certainly. But one mustn't assume the
knowledge of the readers. when it's in the sheep it's suet. If I used it for
cooking it would be suet. People know what suet is, mostly, they don't know
what tallow is, mostly. If you say you make tallow candles they screw up
their noses and usually say it stinks, which is doesn't. I've had people
telling me that only the rich could afford tallow candles.

People just don't know.

Delia Smith thinks that suet comes from beef. OED says from oxen or
sheep.
--
Martin