Old 19-12-2003, 10:02 PM
Rod

Default turfed lawn

p.mc wrote:

Hi

I've just had turf laid, and in preperation I bought Miracle grow lawn food
to try and help with the growth, but after the men had finished I told them
what I intended to do and one of them said it was a waste of time and should
leave it untill the spring.

Save your effort and your feed 'til spring. Don't worry too much about the
quality of the turf. If it's mostly annual meadow grass (Poa annua) you could
have a problem that is difficult but not impossible to solve but if as I
suspect it's 'Meadow turf' then that will be a mix of desirable and undesirable
species. Good aftercare will tip the scales in favour of the dwarfer finer
species surprisingly quickly - you could see a big difference in a couple of
growing seasons. BTW 'Meadow turf' is much less common nowadays most turf is
cultivated and while very variable in quality it is nowhere near as variable as
the so called 'Meadow turf' taken from old agricultural grassland.

--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html