Old 18-12-2003, 10:45 AM
p.mc

Default turfed lawn

Hi

I've just had turf laid, and in preperation I bought Miracle grow lawn food
to try and help with the growth, but after the men had finished I told them
what I intended to do and one of them said it was a waste of time and should
leave it untill the spring.
So I decided to post to this group to see wether or not this is the right
thing to do as it says on the box to apply soon after the turf is laid.
By the way the turf doesn't look very good I think it's what you'd call
meadow grass? I can't complain either as it is a rented property.

TIA

--

Please type in p.mc in personal replies
or leave signature otherwise posts will

Regards
p.mc

Old 18-12-2003, 04:43 PM
Registered User

Location: East Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally posted by p.mc
Hi

I've just had turf laid, and in preperation I bought Miracle grow lawn food
to try and help with the growth, but after the men had finished I told them
what I intended to do and one of them said it was a waste of time and should
leave it untill the spring.
So I decided to post to this group to see wether or not this is the right
thing to do as it says on the box to apply soon after the turf is laid.
By the way the turf doesn't look very good I think it's what you'd call
meadow grass? I can't complain either as it is a rented property.

TIA

--

Please type in p.mc in personal replies
or leave signature otherwise posts will
not be recieved

Regards
p.mc
It is indeed a waste of time and effort doing anything to the lawn now as far as feeding is concerned. If you wait until about mid March (ish) and use half the recomended dose it should get things going, but I'd be tempted to just water in dry weather after growth starts and not feed at all to be honest. Encourage the roots to go out looking for their own food, as this will make the whole lawn stronger in the long run.
__________________
I'm thinking of starting a lawn laying business and calling it Sodding Perfection

Old 19-12-2003, 10:02 PM
Rod

p.mc wrote:

Hi

I've just had turf laid, and in preperation I bought Miracle grow lawn food
to try and help with the growth, but after the men had finished I told them
what I intended to do and one of them said it was a waste of time and should
leave it untill the spring.

Save your effort and your feed 'til spring. Don't worry too much about the
quality of the turf. If it's mostly annual meadow grass (Poa annua) you could
have a problem that is difficult but not impossible to solve but if as I
suspect it's 'Meadow turf' then that will be a mix of desirable and undesirable
species. Good aftercare will tip the scales in favour of the dwarfer finer
species surprisingly quickly - you could see a big difference in a couple of
growing seasons. BTW 'Meadow turf' is much less common nowadays most turf is
cultivated and while very variable in quality it is nowhere near as variable as
the so called 'Meadow turf' taken from old agricultural grassland.

--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html
Old 20-12-2003, 06:05 PM
p.mc

"martin" wrote in message

snip

Please type in p.mc in personal replies
or leave signature otherwise posts will
not be recieved

snip

Martins correction

i before e except after c

and a sig needs a space after the --
--
Martin

Thanks for that Martin
I'll give you some of your own advice.
You replied in the subject field "tufted lawn", the spelling is turfed.
--
p.mc

please type in p.mc in personal replies
or leave signature, otherwise posts will
not be received

turfed vlawn STEPHEN United Kingdom 2 24-04-2010 09:27 PM
Do I roll a new turfed lawn ?? boombangabang United Kingdom 4 28-07-2007 10:41 AM
New (ish) turfed lawn Scottish Quilter United Kingdom 0 28-04-2005 10:45 AM
i before except after c was turfed lawn martin United Kingdom 1 21-12-2003 08:04 PM
Can I Use Scotts Lawn Pro Step 4 Lawn Fertilizer for Overseeding? Mike Thompson Lawns 1 10-09-2003 07:42 PM