Old 20-12-2003, 11:02 PM
Mark. Gooley

Default Confess!

"Shiva" wrote:
How many of you still have roses outside in the
pots they arrived in last spring?

Guilty. Not many, though: most have been repotted into
bigger pots. Some arrived bare-root and I at once potted
them; most of those are still in those pots. It's a good thing
that I didn't plant all of them out: the abnormally heavy
rains during the summer killed most of those I put in the
ground. I bought a big load of composted garden waste
and I've been planting roses in mounds of that, with some
success, but I still have a LOT of roses in pots. Maybe a
hundred.

More importantly, what are you going to do with
them?

I've been covering some of them up with frost cloth when
frost is about to hit -- as in by dawn tomorrow. Particularly
the ones in gallon pots. It's probably unnecessary and useless,
but I hope to prevent new growth (there's been a lot of late)
from being killed. It may hit 25 F before the sun rises, and I
really don't know whether I'm doing any good. If the roses
under the cloth have their new growth intact, and the others
don't, I'll feel vindicated.

Mark.