Old 20-12-2003, 07:05 PM
Shiva

Default Confess!

How many of you still have roses outside in the
pots they arrived in last spring?

More importantly, what are you going to do with
them?

I have two 'Mart Circus plants on the side porcth
that are obscenely healthy in their gallon pots.

And company's coming.

Shall I decorate them?

Old 20-12-2003, 11:02 PM
Mark. Gooley

"Shiva" wrote:
How many of you still have roses outside in the
pots they arrived in last spring?

Guilty. Not many, though: most have been repotted into
bigger pots. Some arrived bare-root and I at once potted
them; most of those are still in those pots. It's a good thing
that I didn't plant all of them out: the abnormally heavy
rains during the summer killed most of those I put in the
ground. I bought a big load of composted garden waste
and I've been planting roses in mounds of that, with some
success, but I still have a LOT of roses in pots. Maybe a
hundred.

More importantly, what are you going to do with
them?

I've been covering some of them up with frost cloth when
frost is about to hit -- as in by dawn tomorrow. Particularly
the ones in gallon pots. It's probably unnecessary and useless,
but I hope to prevent new growth (there's been a lot of late)
from being killed. It may hit 25 F before the sun rises, and I
really don't know whether I'm doing any good. If the roses
under the cloth have their new growth intact, and the others
don't, I'll feel vindicated.

Mark.

Old 23-12-2003, 09:12 PM
torgo

Yup - I still have three sitting in pots. But then again, I finally
took the bare roots out of their water bath in October and November.

(Update - the newly planted bare roots are doing very well. I can't
wait to see how Redoute and Intrigue do this spring. And if I find
more ultra-late clearance sale bare roots again next year, I won't
hesitate to repeat the experiment.)

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with the Playgirl, Dublin, and
Snowbird that are still in pots. They didn't handle summer well,
which is why they didn't get planted in the new garden in the first
place. I'll probably give Playgirl another year, but Dublin and
Snowbird are most likely headed for the compost heap.