Old 21-12-2003, 12:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Leeks - leave them in the ground or dig them up?

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

"Alan wrote in message
I've a number of leeks still lying in the ground, my problem
is whether to dig them up and store them, or leave them
there and dig them out as needed.

If I dig them all out, how should I store them?

I'm just down the road from you, near Staines, and I have two rows almost
untouched still. They will stay there until needed and if not used will then
flower and produce seed or better still, "pips".

They are one of the hardiest vegetables, and keep perfectly well even
when the ground freezes solid 2" down and rethaws. Dig them up for
use.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.