Old 21-12-2003, 10:36 PM
p.aradi

Default [IBC] drainage

Peter:

Perhaps it is scientifically wrong, but it is the accepted and general
practice in Japan! All Japanese books on bonsai, all Japanese
articles on repotting, all Japanese videos on repotting use that
technique. Last March I worked a couple days at a nursery in
Kyoto repotting shohin and mame bonsai, my specific instructions
were to use two different layers of Akadama soil: a drainage layer
and a main filler. All workers at the nursery used the same technique.

So get used to the idea that old practices, specially if they are proven
in practice over several centuries, may endure even if "scientifically
wrong." And "Kindai Bonsai," the source of that article is the best
and truly cutting edge magazine on bonsai.

Cheers.

Peter Aradi
Tulsa, Oklahoma