Old 22-12-2003, 03:42 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Boxwood Plant

Nina Shishkoff wrote:

-----Original Message-----

Date: Sat Dec 20 21:02:54 EST 2003
From: "Tony Busko"
I recently bought a boxwood and have potted in a nice pot. However...I'm
not sure I should have gotten a boxwood.

You've gotten some good replies already- I just want to find out if the boxwood is indoors or outdoors. Where are you, geographically speaking? Where I am (Maryland), my boxwood is outside and I'm not going to repot it until spring.

I agree that boxwoods are tricky to prune because of the opposite branching pattern; I tend to end up with schematic-looking trees. But I have seen gorgeous specimens, and happily, boxwoods bud back well and can recover from oafish mistakes in pruning.

What I do with my Kingsville boxwoods is to prune the same way you prune maples--by finding the place I'd like to cut back to, and cut out the center shoot (or section of branch, if it's that large). You get instant ramification. This is especially good

to do in intially working down a boxwood that is bushy. It thins it out and increases ramification closer to the trunk.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++