Old 23-12-2003, 02:33 AM
Ian

Default Metal Halide Pendant Lighting

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I've got some thinking to do now.
The tank I'm planning on buying has a plastic brace in the center actually.
I am slightly fearful that that brace will actually block out a good portion
of the light. That's why I'm leaning towards 2 lights, but at twice the
cost unfortunately. I dunno.

"Blarneytoad" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 02:33:39 GMT, "Ian" wrote:

Seasons greetings everyone!
I was wondering if anyone out there has ever used metal halide pendants

over
their fish tanks? I like the idea of having the ability to lower or

raise
the light as needed. Additionally, metal halide has that shimmer effect
that shines into the tank. I am planning on using it over a 75 Gallon

tank
(48X18X20). I'm wondering if I need to invest in 2 pendants. I would

prefer
one 250 Watt MH pendant for simplicity and for costs. I figure I can

hang
it over my tank and get several light zones, i.e. high light need plants
would be directly under the glow, slower growers in the periphery. Any
thoughts?

I think you're going to need 2 pendants. 175 watters should be good.
Corallife makes them in black and white I believe. I have 2 over my
55g tank with glass plates covering the top-you will get a lot of
evaporation with these over a tank.The back 3 inches is uncovered so
I typically get plants growing out of the tank in those areas (I've
had various plants actually flower)