Old 23-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Drainage and other unfortunate mysteries (was : Bonsai Today article on drainage)

Probably, like me, a "horticultural book." Bonsai books are terrible places in which to find reliable information about how plants grow -- and especially WHY.

Jim Lewis - - temporarily in Durham,. NC

It's true, but sadly, horticulture books are often frustrating for the bonsai grower, since they are written with mass-production in mind. You can find references on how to use chemicals to make plants shorter and bushier, but no one spends any time on "t
reeness", a concept for which we have Nick Lenz to thank. And horticulturists know a lot about drainage, and root production, and how roots are formed, but never spend a nano-second (er... a micro-tempus?) worrying about a good nebari.

You have to get your reverence from the masters and your facts from the horticulturists, and then you'll be fine.

Nina Shishkoff

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++