Old 23-12-2003, 03:33 PM
Bob Hobden

Default savoy cabbages

Jane wrote in message
I have grown savoy-type cabbages this year for the first time,
alongside my summer cabbages. Now I know they're a late variety and
not due to be picked until Feb, but all the same, most of them aren't
hearting. I've got one that has, and the rest are just pretty frills.

Is there any obvious reason (apart from the dry 2003 summer weather)
and is there anything anyone would advise for either persuading them
to put a late hearting spurt on, or for next year's seedlings?

I can rule out 'bed not prepared properly' as I grew summer Minicoles
in between and they were fantastic, to the point where the last ones
are still going...

Mine also haven't done too well so far and neither have the usually enormous
Winter Tundra but as we don't need the land yet we will leave them in and
wait and see. Might get some nice spring cabbage. :-)
Funny thing is the winter caulis planted at the same time are now doing well
and from the look of them we would expect them to crop as usual.
Noticed the autumn broccoli is now producing nice heads, bit late! Strange
year!

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
351 data units completed.