Old 23-12-2003, 01:03 PM

Default savoy cabbages

I have grown savoy-type cabbages this year for the first time,
alongside my summer cabbages. Now I know they're a late variety and
not due to be picked until Feb, but all the same, most of them aren't
hearting. I've got one that has, and the rest are just pretty frills.

Is there any obvious reason (apart from the dry 2003 summer weather)
and is there anything anyone would advise for either persuading them
to put a late hearting spurt on, or for next year's seedlings?

I can rule out 'bed not prepared properly' as I grew summer Minicoles
in between and they were fantastic, to the point where the last ones
are still going...

(Now to try this again with the usenet-proof addy...)

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 23-12-2003, 03:33 PM
Bob Hobden

Jane wrote in message
I have grown savoy-type cabbages this year for the first time,
alongside my summer cabbages. Now I know they're a late variety and
not due to be picked until Feb, but all the same, most of them aren't
hearting. I've got one that has, and the rest are just pretty frills.

Is there any obvious reason (apart from the dry 2003 summer weather)
and is there anything anyone would advise for either persuading them
to put a late hearting spurt on, or for next year's seedlings?

I can rule out 'bed not prepared properly' as I grew summer Minicoles
in between and they were fantastic, to the point where the last ones
are still going...

Mine also haven't done too well so far and neither have the usually enormous
Winter Tundra but as we don't need the land yet we will leave them in and
wait and see. Might get some nice spring cabbage. :-)
Funny thing is the winter caulis planted at the same time are now doing well
and from the look of them we would expect them to crop as usual.
Noticed the autumn broccoli is now producing nice heads, bit late! Strange
year!

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
351 data units completed.

Old 23-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Robert

:
: Is there any obvious reason (apart from the dry 2003 summer weather)
: and is there anything anyone would advise for either persuading them
: to put a late hearting spurt on, or for next year's seedlings?
:
: I can rule out 'bed not prepared properly' as I grew summer Minicoles
: in between and they were fantastic, to the point where the last ones
: are still going...
:
: (Now to try this again with the usenet-proof addy...)

Did you firm the ground down with the back of your heels? Firm ground
encourages hearting in cabbages and sprouts

Old 24-12-2003, 08:03 AM

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 16:02:35 +0000 (UTC), "Robert"
wrote:

~: I have grown savoy-type cabbages this year for the first time,
~: alongside my summer cabbages. Now I know they're a late variety and
~: not due to be picked until Feb, but all the same, most of them aren't
~: hearting. I've got one that has, and the rest are just pretty frills.
~:
~
~Did you firm the ground down with the back of your heels? Firm ground
~encourages hearting in cabbages and sprouts
~
~
Well yes - the minicoles are proof of it. That's what I find so
weird...

Perhaps this next season will be slightly more like we expect from
Blighty - soon be time to sow the first seeds hurrah!

--
jane

Mark Twain

Savoy cabbage JIP[_3_] United Kingdom 3 05-06-2012 09:01 AM
Savoy cabbage - tips on freezing please Raymond RUSSELL United Kingdom 1 24-09-2010 09:50 AM
Something's been eating my cabbages!!! FF United Kingdom 14 01-01-2004 10:07 PM
savoy cabbages jane taylor United Kingdom 0 23-12-2003 12:32 PM
Cabbages and Kings Chris United Kingdom 3 11-04-2003 02:08 PM