Old 23-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Robert

Default savoy cabbages

: I have grown savoy-type cabbages this year for the first time,
: alongside my summer cabbages. Now I know they're a late variety and
: not due to be picked until Feb, but all the same, most of them aren't
: hearting. I've got one that has, and the rest are just pretty frills.
:
: Is there any obvious reason (apart from the dry 2003 summer weather)
: and is there anything anyone would advise for either persuading them
: to put a late hearting spurt on, or for next year's seedlings?
:
: I can rule out 'bed not prepared properly' as I grew summer Minicoles
: in between and they were fantastic, to the point where the last ones
: are still going...
:
: (Now to try this again with the usenet-proof addy...)

Did you firm the ground down with the back of your heels? Firm ground
encourages hearting in cabbages and sprouts