Old 24-12-2003, 08:03 AM

Default savoy cabbages

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 16:02:35 +0000 (UTC), "Robert"
wrote:

~: I have grown savoy-type cabbages this year for the first time,
~: alongside my summer cabbages. Now I know they're a late variety and
~: not due to be picked until Feb, but all the same, most of them aren't
~: hearting. I've got one that has, and the rest are just pretty frills.
~:
~: Is there any obvious reason (apart from the dry 2003 summer weather)
~: and is there anything anyone would advise for either persuading them
~: to put a late hearting spurt on, or for next year's seedlings?
~:
~: I can rule out 'bed not prepared properly' as I grew summer Minicoles
~: in between and they were fantastic, to the point where the last ones
~: are still going...
~:
~: (Now to try this again with the usenet-proof addy...)
~
~Did you firm the ground down with the back of your heels? Firm ground
~encourages hearting in cabbages and sprouts
~
~
Well yes - the minicoles are proof of it. That's what I find so
weird...

Perhaps this next season will be slightly more like we expect from
Blighty - soon be time to sow the first seeds hurrah!

--
jane

Mark Twain