Old 24-12-2003, 10:03 AM
Jay Casey

Default Tree root system (drip line)

Thanks for your help.
The tree is a live oak.
It is a fairly sizeable, and growing on a slope (growing "away" from the
slope).
There is a huge rock that leans against it, but I doubt that the tree is
supporting
the rock's weight. More likely the tree had to grow away from the rock.
I think other rocks underneath the large one are supporting the bedrock.

Since it is not doing great, I thought about giving it one of those Miracle
Grow
tree feed spikes which is recommended to be driven around the drip line.
If I literally follow the "drip line," it would be imbalanced dramatically,
as all
branches and leaves are on one side. I would reckon that these spikes
should
be driven around the edge of the root system.

I thought about cutting it, but left it alone, due to its age/size.
During warm seasons, it grows green leaves, but it always looks very dry.
It was the first to lose all its leaves a month or two ago.

"animaux" wrote in message
It depends on the tree, but yes, it should be symmetric all around.

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:48:59 GMT, "Jay Casey"
opined:

If a tree is growing/standing at a 45degree angle,
how would its root system be like?

Would it be symmetric underground?
Or would it be unbalanced mirroring the slant of the trunk?
Or would it be unbalanced reverse-mirroring the slant of the trunk?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.