Old 23-12-2003, 11:02 AM
Jay Casey

Default Tree root system (drip line)

If a tree is growing/standing at a 45degree angle,
how would its root system be like?

Would it be symmetric underground?
Or would it be unbalanced mirroring the slant of the trunk?
Or would it be unbalanced reverse-mirroring the slant of the trunk?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Old 23-12-2003, 02:04 PM
animaux

It depends on the tree, but yes, it should be symmetric all around.

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:48:59 GMT, "Jay Casey"
opined:

Old 24-12-2003, 10:03 AM
Jay Casey

Thanks for your help.
The tree is a live oak.
It is a fairly sizeable, and growing on a slope (growing "away" from the
slope).
There is a huge rock that leans against it, but I doubt that the tree is
supporting
the rock's weight. More likely the tree had to grow away from the rock.
I think other rocks underneath the large one are supporting the bedrock.

Since it is not doing great, I thought about giving it one of those Miracle
Grow
tree feed spikes which is recommended to be driven around the drip line.
If I literally follow the "drip line," it would be imbalanced dramatically,
as all
branches and leaves are on one side. I would reckon that these spikes
should
be driven around the edge of the root system.

I thought about cutting it, but left it alone, due to its age/size.
During warm seasons, it grows green leaves, but it always looks very dry.
It was the first to lose all its leaves a month or two ago.

Old 24-12-2003, 11:32 AM
Bob

"Jay Casey" wrote in message
Since it is not doing great, I thought about giving it one of those

Miracle
Grow
tree feed spikes which is recommended to be driven around the drip line.
If I literally follow the "drip line," it would be imbalanced

dramatically,
as all
branches and leaves are on one side. I would reckon that these spikes
should
be driven around the edge of the root system.

According to our extension service (county agent) and the Saturday experts
on radio,
Those fertelizer spikes are next to worthless.

They suggest pushing a spade a few inches into the ground, peeling back the
soil slightly
and putting a balanced fertelizer in the hole, removing the spade and
pushing th soil down
with your foot.

This should be around the drip line.

Old 24-12-2003, 02:18 PM
animaux

If it's growing on a slope away from the slope, chances are it is naked on one
side because the slope prevents it from having a root system on that side. I
would never use Miracle Gro products in the ground, especially on an ailing
tree. You can gently put a fork in the soil around the drip line, rocking back
and forth to form some air holes, which you will top dress with a good compost
about 1/4 inch) and water it well. Very well. That would be 100 times better
for the tree than spikes.

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 09:52:13 GMT, "Jay Casey"
opined:

[...]

.. .

Old 26-12-2003, 10:32 AM
Jay Casey

Thanks for your tip.
I am somewhat unfamiliar with the expression "... is naked on one side."
Do you mean that one side will have a shallow root system or no root system?
And which side would that be - the "higher" side the tree is growing away
from?

"animaux" wrote in message
[...]

.. .

Old 26-12-2003, 02:33 PM
animaux

Maybe I didn't get a clear picture of what you have. I thought you had a tree
on a slope which didn't have foliage on one side. Either way, regardless what
the condition of any tree, the application of some live compost at the drip line
will far outweigh any treatment a synthetic chemical can provide. Depending on
how much water the tree gets will tell you how much of a root system it has.
Deep, slow watering is going to put water down IN to the soil for roots to reach
downward. When people water just enough to keep the turf alive, the tree roots
are very shallow because that's where the water is.

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 10:27:58 GMT, "Jay Casey"
opined:

Thanks for your tip.
I am somewhat unfamiliar with the expression "... is naked on one side."
Do you mean that one side will have a shallow root system or no root system?
And which side would that be - the "higher" side the tree is growing away
from?

"animaux" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

.. .

Old 27-12-2003, 04:13 AM
Babberney

wrote:

If a tree is growing/standing at a 45degree angle,
how would its root system be like?

Would it be symmetric underground?
Or would it be unbalanced mirroring the slant of the trunk?
Or would it be unbalanced reverse-mirroring the slant of the trunk?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Tree roots need to be able to get both water and air to survive. In
ideal conditions, they would create a mat in a circle that would be in
the top 18" to 2' of soil and extend as much as 3 times the height of
the tree in every direction. In the real world, they will go where
they can. Sometimes this might be a deep crevice on one side; other
times it might be limited to 6" deep or so because of shallow soil,
compaction, or rocks. If you live at the edge of a cliff, obviously
there would be no roots beyond the cliff face. If the roots have been
severed for construction, they may never regrow to the extent they
would have been in a natura, undeveloped setting.

But the lean of the trunk would have little or no impact on the extent
of the root system. It might be a bit thicker on the side away from
the lean, because more force is needed on that side to hold the tree
up.

Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.