Old 24-12-2003, 11:32 AM
Bob

Default Tree root system (drip line)

"Jay Casey" wrote in message
Since it is not doing great, I thought about giving it one of those

Miracle
Grow
tree feed spikes which is recommended to be driven around the drip line.
If I literally follow the "drip line," it would be imbalanced

dramatically,
as all
branches and leaves are on one side. I would reckon that these spikes
should
be driven around the edge of the root system.

According to our extension service (county agent) and the Saturday experts
on radio,
Those fertelizer spikes are next to worthless.

They suggest pushing a spade a few inches into the ground, peeling back the
soil slightly
and putting a balanced fertelizer in the hole, removing the spade and
pushing th soil down
with your foot.

This should be around the drip line.