Old 24-12-2003, 06:42 PM
Wayne Greenleaf

Default [IBC] Watering Willow and Bald Cypress

The flaring roots are the result of the tree standing in water. The amount
of flaring and the height of the flare depends on the depth of the water.
The trees naturally grow in areas where there is considerable variation in
water level, usually seasonal. I grew two saplings of the same size,
approximately two years old. One was submerged in a can about half way up
the trunk during the spring for about three, roughly approximating the
historical spring floods. That one developed much more taper/flare and a
knee.
Wayne Greenleaf - New Orleans Z9