Old 24-12-2003, 02:03 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Watering Willow and Bald Cypress

In a message dated 12/23/2003 8:03:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Apparently it depends on the plant. For example, Peter Chan in his 1985
bonsai book "Bonsai: The Art of Growing and Keeping Miniature Trees"
recommends that a bonsai pot containing a willow (Salix spp.) should be
immersed in water during the summer. Same for a swamp cypress (Taxodium
distichum) bonsai.

Although both of these tend to like water it is not necessary to leave them
sitting in water.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast
Bonsai Societies of Florida Annual Convention Memorial Day Weekend 2004
Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral, Florida
www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-12-2003, 03:07 AM
Bill Watkins

I live in Oklahoma in zone 6.5. I have a bald cypress and for the past
three years near the end of the summer the foliage starts getting brown.
I water it quite frequently but this doesn't seem to keep it from getting
brown foliage. I guess it doesn't like this somewhat dryer climate than
what it is supposed to have. This summer I collected some moss and
covered the soil with it and low and behold a miracle. The tree really
liked this since the foliage didn't get brown as it usually does. Near
the very very late summer the foliage started to show some brown but
nothing like what it has in the past. The moss kept the soil wetter and
for a longer period of time which is what the tree must have liked.

Bill

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-12-2003, 02:02 PM
Nina Shishkoff

I live in Oklahoma in zone 6.5. I have a bald cypress and for the past
three years near the end of the summer the foliage starts getting brown.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a bald cypress a deciduous tree? I was under the impression that it was perfectly normal for them to lose their leaves.

Nina, who owns no bald cypresses herself.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-12-2003, 04:44 PM
Thomas Simmons

Yes Nina is right, I have several bald cypress trees around a lake on my
property and they loose their leaves every winter (Hernando
Mississippi --just below Memphis Tn.)
I live in Oklahoma in zone 6.5. I have a bald cypress and for the past
three years near the end of the summer the foliage starts getting brown.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a bald cypress a deciduous

tree? I was under the impression that it was perfectly normal for them to
lose their leaves.

Nina, who owns no bald cypresses herself.

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 24-12-2003, 05:02 PM
Bill Watkins

Thank you Billy, I guess my note was misinterpreted. Mid to Late Summer
around here is not Fall or late Fall which is when the Bald Cypress
actually starts to lose its foliage. The moss on the soil does keep the
soil wetter and lessens hot summer stress. I have kept the soil submerged
in water out in the hot sun but didn't seem to help. I keep it in some
shade which seems to help. Basically speaking I don't think that it likes
the Oklahoma weather where I live. However, we do have Bald Cypress
growing in some yards around here??????????????

Bill

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-12-2003, 05:12 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Bald Cypress have to be one of the "hardiest" (if that is the correct term)
trees I've heard about. They absolutely thrive in the hot, humid swamps in
LA & FL. However, up here on the frigid North Coast they develop into
really beautiful trees as well and don't seem to mind the temps at all. My
aunt has one that is probably 30 years old and 3' in diameter growing in her
yard. The biggest difference I can see, up here they don't get those massive
flairing roots.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-12-2003, 06:42 PM
Wayne Greenleaf

The flaring roots are the result of the tree standing in water. The amount
of flaring and the height of the flare depends on the depth of the water.
The trees naturally grow in areas where there is considerable variation in
water level, usually seasonal. I grew two saplings of the same size,
approximately two years old. One was submerged in a can about half way up
the trunk during the spring for about three, roughly approximating the
historical spring floods. That one developed much more taper/flare and a
knee.
Wayne Greenleaf - New Orleans Z9

Bald Cypress have to be one of the "hardiest" (if that is the correct term)
trees I've heard about. They absolutely thrive in the hot, humid swamps in
LA & FL. However, up here on the frigid North Coast they develop into
really beautiful trees as well and don't seem to mind the temps at all. My
aunt has one that is probably 30 years old and 3' in diameter growing in her
yard. The biggest difference I can see, up here they don't get those massive
flairing roots.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

****
****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Concerning a Bald Cypress trunk chop Tony Ashton Bonsai 2 12-01-2005 01:40 PM
[IBC] Concerning a Bald Cypress trunk chop Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 0 12-01-2005 05:24 AM
[IBC] Bald Cypress randi sharp Bonsai 2 14-07-2003 06:32 AM
[IBC] Bald Cypress chop timing audgen Bonsai 2 13-04-2003 02:44 PM
[IBC] Pruning Bald Cypress seedlings Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 2 05-03-2003 09:52 PM