Old 26-12-2003, 01:33 PM

Default Newsgroups dead? Was: pantry moths?

wrote:

But I cannot do so when my writings are taken in their
entirety and published on someone's commercial website.
This could be thought to constitute 'prior publication' and
it detracts greatly from my chances of selling an article.
Most editors want articles that have not been published
elsewhere.

A quick note to the internet provider of the offending site will probably
help in removing your content. Specifically, say that you are the copyright
owner of the material in question, you've requested that your material not
be used (I'm assuming that's the case...if not, start there), and that you
would like the offending material removed immediately. Do a search on the
DMCA. Once notified, the provider itself can be responsible for copyright
infringement if it does nothing. So most are pretty quick to act.

If you don't get a suitable response, go to next provider up the chain.
It's possible the offending person himself or his friends run his ISP. But
somewhere, they are buying a feed, and that company will need to act. If
you need help in figuring out who to contact, drop me a line.

I'd be careful about putting your material on mailing lists, as well. Most
have some sort of web-based archive available. Once it's there, it's as
good as published, too.