Old 26-12-2003, 03:32 PM
jklewis

Default [IBC] kengai bonsai tree care

You likely will get several responses. All of them will say to get the gravel off the top of the soil. You may need to chip it away, so be careful not to disturb the tree too much. Fill the hole that is left with a good potting soil for now.

Place your tree in the sink and sprinkle water over the top, while filling the sink to the rim of the pot. Let it sit there for a while (until the new soil gets thoroughly wet. Remove the tree and let it drain. ONLY water again when soil feel dry, and w
ater from the top -- sprinkling it on unmtil water comes out of the drain hole. (If you pot does NOT have a drain hole, find a plastic or terra cotta nursery pot of the same size or learger, and move the tree into it -- lifting it out with all the soil in
tact around the roots if possible, and filling soil back completely around the roots if not. THEN water as directed above.)

I don't know where you live, but if the temperatures are not below freezing where you are, the tree should be kept outside. If it is cold, though, keep it in a cool room, with light, and ONLY water whan the soil feels dry. In spring, put the tree outside
. It won't survive indoors.

The "bamboo" probably is so-called "lucky bamboo" and is NOT a bamboo, but a tropical plant called Dracena. Handle it like you would any indoor plant.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL

hey all,

never had a bonsai tree before and for xmas i got a kengai bosai tree it was
purchased from a mall. i was wondering if you could put me in the right
direction to a page on its care. I also got a bamboo tree from a mall also,
so if anyone knows where i can get instructions on that too it would be
great.

I want the trees to thrive and grow cause both are beautiful.

One question though it seems the bonsai tree has gavel on top of the soil
and it also seems that the gravel is glued. is this good for the bonsai
should i transplant it to a another put without the gravel? ? the bamboo
also has gravel but its not glued.

When you write back can u CC my email address

Thanks for all the help.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++