Old 25-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] kengai bonsai tree care

Thanks fgor caring about your gift enough to write us.

If you go to our website and look around, you will
find directions on what to do.

We need to know where you live and what kind of tree
you have to give you more specific advice.

Most bonsai with glued on rocks are difficult to keep
alive, but it is possible. Make sure you water this
plant from the bottom because water will not go
through the glue. (soak for a few minutes in apot of
water. Check the weight of the pot when you put it in
the water. Life it out several times as check to make
sure the weight has increased. This means you have
added water)

Most bonsai are outdoor trees. In this season and
depending on where you live, this might not be
feasable.

Best Regards,

Kitsuen Miko

--- Got2Drink wrote:
hey all,

never had a bonsai tree before and for xmas i got a
kengai bosai tree it was
purchased from a mall. i was wondering if you could
put me in the right
direction to a page on its care. I also got a bamboo
tree from a mall also,
so if anyone knows where i can get instructions on
that too it would be
great.

I want the trees to thrive and grow cause both are
beautiful.

One question though it seems the bonsai tree has
gavel on top of the soil
and it also seems that the gravel is glued. is this
good for the bonsai
should i transplant it to a another put without the
gravel? ? the bamboo
also has gravel but its not glued.

When you write back can u CC my email address

Thanks for all the help.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Jarbas
Godoy ++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Old 25-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Got2Drink

Thanks for the reply,

I live in philadelphia, pennsylvania, where the weather ranges from 100 F in
the summer to 20 degrees and colder in the winter.

Should i just repot it to make it easier? should i get some kind of light
for the planet?

Old 25-12-2003, 07:42 PM
Got2Drink

by the way what web site?

Old 25-12-2003, 08:12 PM
Kitsune Miko

--- Got2Drink wrote:
Thanks for the reply,

I live in philadelphia, pennsylvania, where the
weather ranges from 100 F in
the summer to 20 degrees and colder in the winter.

OK, then you don't put it outside right now. We still
need to know the type of tree. Kengai means
cascading. If they didn't tell you the plant type,
can you describe what it looks like?

Should i just repot it to make it easier? should i
get some kind of light
for the planet?

Don't repot yet. Light again depending on the plant.
Right now moderate light and no too much heat.

Kitsune Miko

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-12-2003, 08:42 PM
MartyWeiser

I would probably get the glued on rocks off so you can water from the top.
Replace them with some gritty soil like a cactus mix and use a chopstick to
work some of the grit into the soil that is already in the pot. In
addition, check to make sure there is a drainage hole in the bottom of the
pot and that the water drains through it.

Determining the type of tree is important two determine where to keep it.
If it has short needle foliage is probably a juniper and should probably be
outside with some protection or in an unheated storage area. If it has very
small green leaves it is probably a serissa, particularly if it has flowers,
and will need to stay inside in cold weather. If it has larger green leaves
it may be a ficus and should stay in. There is information at the IBC site
that can help you determine exactly what it is and tips on how to maintain
it over the winter.

Marty

Old 25-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Carl L Rosner

Look at the bottom of any of our Emails, you will see:

The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/

Carl L. Rosner

Got2Drink wrote:

by the way what web site?

************************************************* *******************************
************************************************* *******************************

Old 26-12-2003, 01:32 AM
Got2Drink

sorry guys i though kengai was the type

it is a juniper.

ill check the site out and see what i find.

the problem is the glued rocks look like there on there really good. i dont
wanna harm the tree while trying to break through the glue. anyone have
suggestions on how to take the gravel off, any liquids that will help
dissolve the glue and not harm the tree. yes there is a hole at the bottom.

i actually wrote this group before when my boss had a 150 year old bonsai
that he brought for several thousand in asia. he gave it to me when it was
dead to see what i could do with it. the group was quite helpful but the
plant was passed the point of no return.

I just dont wanna lose this one.

Thank for all the help.

Old 26-12-2003, 12:42 PM
Carl L Rosner

Dear Got2Drink:
A few weeks ago I wrote my experience of removing glued-on-stones. It
was one of my student'd gift from her husband. Her is how I removed the
stones: I took a small screw driver and placed it on the edge of the
rock and the pot and tapped it lightly with a hammer. Move the screw
driver a few inches and do do it again. Eventually you should be able
to drive the screw driver below the rocks and then use the screw driver
as a fulcrum and bend the screwdriver handle away from the pot and
tree. The whole affair of rocks should lift out in one or two pieces.
There was an area around the trunk that was rock free, so you shouldn't
hurt the trunk.

Then cover the area with some soil (for the time being.) Place a wooden
skewer in the soil and check the dirty end every day. DO NOT WATER the
soil until the dirty end comes out damp to dry.

Check the archives (see the site atthe bottom of theis Email) and read
up on care of a Juniper. Spring would be the time to repot.

Good luck,

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Old 26-12-2003, 03:02 PM
Iris Cohen

I live in philadelphia, pennsylvania, where the weather ranges from 100 F in
the summer to 20 degrees and colder in the winter.
Should i just repot it to make it easier? should I get some kind of light
for the plant?

The first thing you need to do is find out what kind of a tree you have. This
is vital. Does it have little needles, like a spruce or pine tree, only tinier?
It probably does, in which case it is a juniper, and will die if you keep it
indoors too long. Since it is not accustomed to winter right now, you must keep
it in a cold place just above freezing. If you don't have an unheated spare
room or a sunporch, wrap it in plastic and put it in your refrigerator. It
needs to stay cool until next spring; then put it outdoors for the summer.
The term kengai does not tell what kind of a tree you have. It is the style,
which means cascade. The end of the tree hangs down below the pot, as though it
were growing on a cliff.
Do not repot the tree now. You can repot it in March, but not until you read up
on the subject & know what you are doing. Meanwhile, if you have those glued-on
stones, pry them off at once.
Fluorescent lights are excellent for tropical bonsai, like Ficus or Serissa,
but wait until you know more about the subject.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 26-12-2003, 03:32 PM
jklewis

You likely will get several responses. All of them will say to get the gravel off the top of the soil. You may need to chip it away, so be careful not to disturb the tree too much. Fill the hole that is left with a good potting soil for now.

Place your tree in the sink and sprinkle water over the top, while filling the sink to the rim of the pot. Let it sit there for a while (until the new soil gets thoroughly wet. Remove the tree and let it drain. ONLY water again when soil feel dry, and w
ater from the top -- sprinkling it on unmtil water comes out of the drain hole. (If you pot does NOT have a drain hole, find a plastic or terra cotta nursery pot of the same size or learger, and move the tree into it -- lifting it out with all the soil in
tact around the roots if possible, and filling soil back completely around the roots if not. THEN water as directed above.)

I don't know where you live, but if the temperatures are not below freezing where you are, the tree should be kept outside. If it is cold, though, keep it in a cool room, with light, and ONLY water whan the soil feels dry. In spring, put the tree outside
. It won't survive indoors.

The "bamboo" probably is so-called "lucky bamboo" and is NOT a bamboo, but a tropical plant called Dracena. Handle it like you would any indoor plant.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL

Old 26-12-2003, 04:02 PM
Mike

thanks guys this has been great.

i will remove the rocks ASAP and wait to repot in the spring. by the way
what type of soil will i need once the rocks are gone?

i have a bathroom window i am going to put the plant in. its pretty cold in
there and gets sun just about all day long.

Old 26-12-2003, 06:42 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 12/26/2003 11:03:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

I have a bathroom window I am going to put the plant in. its pretty cold in
there and gets sun just about all day long.

Although a bathroom window is frequently a good location for house plants, a
Juniper will probably prefer a dryer, less humid location.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast
Bonsai Societies of Florida Annual Convention Memorial Day Weekend 2004
Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral, Florida
www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-12-2003, 01:05 AM
Steve wachs

I was at the nursery where they put these "Kengai" together. They use a white glue to hold the rocks in place. If you think this would help to figure out how to get the rocks off. I think if you lightly chip away at a spot in the gravel you can get it off
without harming the roots.
SteveW
Long Island NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-12-2003, 06:33 AM
Alan Walker

Steve: I believe "Kengai" is a brand name for one of the mallsai
producers. They are usually Juniperus procumbens. This is a bit
confusing for some, because kengai also refers to a style of bonsai
which is known in English as the cascade style.
As for the glued on rocks, most white glue is water soluble, so
a soaking in warm water should make the removal easier.
Alan Walker