Old 27-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Stuart Baldwin

Default Salsify

I've grown a reasonable crop of salsify on my allotment this year and
harvested some for Christmas. Unfortunately, it went uneaten on
Christmas day as we didn't have time to peel it.

I've seen suggestions to scrape it before cooking or to cook it and
scrape it afterwards. I tried the latter, cooking it trimmed and cut
in half, but still in its skin, in water with a bit of lemon juice,
for about 20 minutes or so but found that I was unable to scrape off
the skin without either gauging lumps out of the salsify or leaving
little bits of skin behind.

Does anyone have any suggestions for easier ways of preparing salsify?
--
Stuart Baldwin
news\at/boxatrix\dot/co\dot/uk