Old 27-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Stuart Baldwin

Default Salsify

I've grown a reasonable crop of salsify on my allotment this year and
harvested some for Christmas. Unfortunately, it went uneaten on
Christmas day as we didn't have time to peel it.

I've seen suggestions to scrape it before cooking or to cook it and
scrape it afterwards. I tried the latter, cooking it trimmed and cut
in half, but still in its skin, in water with a bit of lemon juice,
for about 20 minutes or so but found that I was unable to scrape off
the skin without either gauging lumps out of the salsify or leaving
little bits of skin behind.

Does anyone have any suggestions for easier ways of preparing salsify?
--
Stuart Baldwin
news\at/boxatrix\dot/co\dot/uk
Old 27-12-2003, 07:48 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Stuart Baldwin contains these words:

Does anyone have any suggestions for easier ways of preparing salsify?

Cut it into small pieces, liquidise it and use it for making soup.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)

Old 28-12-2003, 11:43 AM
Mary Fisher

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from Stuart Baldwin contains these words:

Does anyone have any suggestions for easier ways of preparing salsify?

Easier than what?

Mary

Old 28-12-2003, 12:40 PM
martin

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 11:26:50 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from Stuart Baldwin contains these words:

Does anyone have any suggestions for easier ways of preparing salsify?

Easier than what?

Easier than easy peasy too much snippery?
--
Martin

Old 28-12-2003, 06:40 PM
Stuart Baldwin

wrote:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from Stuart Baldwin contains these words:

Does anyone have any suggestions for easier ways of preparing salsify?

Easier than what?

Easier than boiling it and trying to scrape the skin off with either a
knife or a vegetable brush. In my original post I wrote that I had
grown some salsify on my allotment and boiled it in its skin for about
25 minutes, but then found that I didn't have time to prepare it for
Christmas dinner because it was so fiddly scraping the skin off.
Old 28-12-2003, 09:27 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Stuart Baldwin contains these words:

Easier than boiling it and trying to scrape the skin off with either a
knife or a vegetable brush. In my original post I wrote that I had
grown some salsify on my allotment and boiled it in its skin for about
25 minutes, but then found that I didn't have time to prepare it for
Christmas dinner because it was so fiddly scraping the skin off.

Never tried this with salsify, but I cook jerusalem artichokes in their
skins, cut them in half and scoop out the flesh using a teaspoon.

You might be able to do that with salsify.

Old 05-01-2004, 03:28 PM
Tim Tyler

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote or quoted:

Never tried this with salsify, but I cook jerusalem artichokes in their
skins, cut them in half and scoop out the flesh using a teaspoon.

If you've cooked a jerusalem artichoke, eat the skin too! ;-)
--
__________

Old 05-01-2004, 06:32 PM
Pat Gardiner

"Stuart Baldwin" wrote in message
I've grown a reasonable crop of salsify on my allotment this year and
harvested some for Christmas. Unfortunately, it went uneaten on
Christmas day as we didn't have time to peel it.

snip

Does anyone have any suggestions for easier ways of preparing salsify?

Peel it - alas. Cut into strips. Parboil in salt water until soft. Drain.
Coat with egg and breadcrumbs and fry in a little olive oil.

Serve with steak.

Not easy, but well worth the trouble....but I'm the appreciative diner - not
the cook.

The same recipe for scorzonera.

Regards
Pat Gardiner
www.go-self-sufficient.com

Old 05-01-2004, 08:43 PM
Mike Lyle

Tim Tyler wrote in message ...
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote or quoted:

Never tried this with salsify, but I cook jerusalem artichokes in their
skins, cut them in half and scoop out the flesh using a teaspoon.

If you've cooked a jerusalem artichoke, eat the skin too! ;-)

John Seymour's solution is to let them flower and seed, then shoot the
pheasants which are attracted. I haven't had a gun for decades, but it
seems sound to me. The vegetable itself leaves me cold.

Mike.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:19 PM
Mary Fisher

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote or quoted:

Never tried this with salsify, but I cook jerusalem artichokes in their
skins, cut them in half and scoop out the flesh using a teaspoon.

If you've cooked a jerusalem artichoke, eat the skin too! ;-)

Yes.

Mary
--
__________

Old 05-01-2004, 10:23 PM
Mary Fisher

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...

Jerusalem artichokes:

John Seymour's solution is to let them flower and seed, then shoot the
pheasants which are attracted. I haven't had a gun for decades, but it
seems sound to me. The vegetable itself leaves me cold.

I love them, especially baked dry in their skins.

MMmmmmmm

Mary

Mike.

Old 05-01-2004, 10:26 PM
Mary Fisher

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote or quoted:

Never tried this with salsify, but I cook jerusalem artichokes in their
skins, cut them in half and scoop out the flesh using a teaspoon.

If you've cooked a jerusalem artichoke, eat the skin too! ;-)

Yes.

Mary
--

Re Salsify (more) partoo United Kingdom 0 13-04-2009 07:23 AM
Salsify Rock Creations United Kingdom 42 11-04-2009 03:07 PM
Salsify and Scorzenera Plum United Kingdom 4 19-04-2008 09:29 AM