Old 27-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Mike Bennett

Default [IBC] Japanese Elm - Evergreen ?

Zelkova serrata is often sold over here as Japanese Grey Bark Elm, although
the descriptions of trees at garden centres is often mystifying to put it
politely.

Are the leaves paleish green in colour, over 1cm long and highly serrated or
are they smaller, darker and glossy? i.e. "typical" Chinese Elm sold in
stores here

If it's the former I would definitely try and get the tree outside and
dormant for a few months, in a cold greenhouse or similar if possible. If
you can't manage shelter, watch for frosts and put in a cold
room/garage/shed until they pass.

If it's the latter, you could leave it indoors and it should be ok and will
stay evergreen. However, if you treat it as above and put it outdoors, it
will shed its leaves until Spring. It will probably also drastically
increase its life expectancy

Mike Bennett, UK