Old 27-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Mike Bennett

Default [IBC] Japanese Elm - Evergreen ?

Zelkova serrata is often sold over here as Japanese Grey Bark Elm, although
the descriptions of trees at garden centres is often mystifying to put it
politely.

Are the leaves paleish green in colour, over 1cm long and highly serrated or
are they smaller, darker and glossy? i.e. "typical" Chinese Elm sold in
stores here

If it's the former I would definitely try and get the tree outside and
dormant for a few months, in a cold greenhouse or similar if possible. If
you can't manage shelter, watch for frosts and put in a cold
room/garage/shed until they pass.

If it's the latter, you could leave it indoors and it should be ok and will
stay evergreen. However, if you treat it as above and put it outdoors, it
will shed its leaves until Spring. It will probably also drastically
increase its life expectancy

Mike Bennett, UK

Old 29-12-2003, 02:13 AM
Jim Lewis

Hi,

I've been given a Japanese Elm bonsai for christmas and is

supposed to
be an indoor specimen. The tree is about 10" high and has a

nice
'corkscrew' trunk so I assume its quite a mature specimen.

I'm just puzzled if the tree really will survive indoors. Its

the
middle of winter here in the UK, but the tree still has all its
leaves. At the moment I have it on a kitchen window that gets

full sun
and I mist everyday.

Any help would be appreciated.
Its a nice tree and I want it to be happy ;-)

Chinese elms will survive indoors; some may even do well there.
In the spring and through the summer, however, it will MUCH
prefer to be outdoors. And, after it has acclimatized, it
probably would do best outdoors next winter, too. This winter,
the sudden shock of the cold would probably damage it.

Misting is OK. Watering every day may not be. You need to check
the soil. Water when the soil feels DRY. While your tree has
leaves, elms (all elms) WANT to be deciduous. This means they
tend to shut down a bit in winter even when they have leaves.
They won't use anywhere near as much water. Overwatering will
kill your tree.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Just in from
a 10-hour drive that lasted 14 hours; exhausted, but there were a
couple of things I had to do . ..

Old 05-01-2004, 08:03 AM
Les Dowdell

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 04:08:18 +0900, SG wrote:

"Jon" wrote
Hi,

I've been given a Japanese Elm bonsai for christmas and is supposed to
be an indoor specimen. The tree is about 10" high and has a nice
'corkscrew' trunk so I assume its quite a mature specimen.

I'm just puzzled if the tree really will survive indoors. Its the
middle of winter here in the UK, but the tree still has all its
leaves. At the moment I have it on a kitchen window that gets full sun
and I mist everyday.

Any help would be appreciated.
Its a nice tree and I want it to be happy ;-)

Jon.

Hello Jon,

Try this site for information concerning Japanese elms, just in case that
is really what you have been given.

http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/aginfo/...k/th-3-115.pdf

As the information at that site indicates, Japanese elms are not
evergreens and should normally be kept outside (hardy for USDA Zone 2). If
someone has told you that your tree is evergreen, then either they do not
know anything about Japanese elms or it has been mis-named.

The leaves of Japanese elms can be reduced to less than 1 cm in length
with only a little bit of work. Full size trees are somewhat asymetric in
their growth but bonsai training can easily overcome this tendency.

Best wishes in bonsai,
Les Dowdell
In zone 3A where Japanese elms can grow comfortably.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 07-01-2004, 02:05 PM
Geoff Hobson

Jon,
your tree should be okay indoors this year, but you would be better to
leave it outside next winter with a little protection if it is very cold, I
live in Basingstoke and my Elms are all outside I am not sure what species
you may have as most of these are called Chinese Elms.
Geoff

****

****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/

--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

+++++

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Rock-Elm and Siberian-Elm; slow growth = stronger wood? a_plutonium Plant Science 2 04-05-2007 08:24 AM
Ulmus thomasii, cork elm or rock elm [email protected] Plant Science 3 25-10-2005 08:09 PM
"Evergreen" Pulmonaria not truly evergreen in warm latitudes? LanscpHort Gardening 3 29-02-2004 02:42 PM
Japanese Elm - Evergreen ? Jon Bonsai 1 04-01-2004 07:12 PM
Evergreen Maxi Spreader and Evergreen weed and feed. Steve S United Kingdom 0 13-04-2003 08:32 PM